NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have upgraded from Windows XP Proffesional with MS Office

Customer Question

I have upgraded from Windows XP Proffesional with MS Office 2003 Server (64 bit) to Winduws 7 (64 bit) with MS Office 2010 (64 bit). I cannot get my MS Word documents to open with Word 2010.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Please bookmark and use this page to access your question - http://www.justanswer.com/microsoft-office/66zm2-upgraded-windows-xp-proffesional-ms-office.html?mode=qa

I am an independent computer expert from South Africa here to assist.

Do you get any error code or error message when you try to open the files?

Where are the files stored? On the local hard drive ?

It can sometimes take several posts to find a satisfactory solution, so please provide as much information including any error messages that you receive. You can also attach images to your posts using the 'paper clip' icon on the website editor. Please don't leave bad feedback without talking to me first. I try to provide the simple solution first, but that is not always possible.

Don't forget to click on 'Accept' if my answer was helpful, so that I get paid for my time, even if you are a contract customer. How JustAnswer Works

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not get any error messages, but I do get a message about encoding. My files are stored in the documents library on drive C the same drive as the program. Bye for now.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Did you install the correct compatibility pack for office?
This is the correct one - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack-for-word-excel-and-powerpoint-HA010168676.aspx

The download for it is here - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3

There are also instructions on the pages on how to use it.

Another possible problem could be corrupted files.
Do you have another machine that you can use to test the files?
Let's make sure that the files are still working.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I installed the downloads and re-booted, but no luck. I don't have a machine or the original DVD's. I installed the new Windows 7 & Office 2010 on a new computer, then I transfered the files over.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
Please post the 'encoding' message that you get.
I need it as it is displayed on the screen.

You can also use the 'Snipping Tool' in your 'All programs', 'Accessories' menu to take a picture of the message, save it to a file, then use the paper clip icon on the JA editor to upload it here.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
Did you restart after installing the compatibility pack?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I re-booted my computer and tried, but no luck.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

Let try something else.

Go to the file using the 'My Documents' link, or open 'Computer' then go to the folder where the files are.
Right click on the file while holding the 'Shift' button, then goto 'Open with...'
Now select 'Microsoft Word' from the list.
If you do not have it there, click 'Choose default program' or 'Browse', then navigate to

c:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office14\winword.exe

Then click OK.

Let see if it will open when you point it in the right direction.

Let me know if you see anything strange.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've tried both the ways, and get the same 'encoding' message.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
I am out of ideas, so I am opening your question to other experts.
Expert:  Danielle-Mod replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have decide to re-install Windows 7 and see if that helps. What do you think ?

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
It would be good if you can verify that the files are not corrupted first, but reinstalling Windows sounds good.

Follow this sequence:
1) Use the 'Windows Easy Transfer' tool at 'All Programs' , 'Accessories', 'System Tools', 'Windows Easy Transfer' to make a backup of all your documents and settings.
2) Backup any documents not included in the transfer wizard. ie: files not stored in 'My Documents' and make a separate copy of the old MS Word documents.
3) Reinstall Windows 7
4) Install Office 2010
5) Install Office Compatibility pack
6) Test the old files and see if they open
7) Use 'Windows Easy Transfer' to restore your files and settings.

Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I re-installed Windows 7, I then re-installed Office 2010 with the compatibility pack. The Windows easy transfer did not work for me, so I had to transfer the files manually. After all that the files still would not open.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
That is not very nice.

If you want to try something else.
Install OpenOffice. - http://www.openoffice.org/download/ This is a free Office package that supports all Microsoft document formats.

Let see if you can still open those files.
You can also use the 'Save as' feature to convert the files.

It normally asks to enable Microsoft document support after the installation, which will enable saving files in a Microsoft format.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have tried the Open Office 3.3, both open a file and the Wizard document converter with no effect. I get the same 'encoding' message as before. I have also tried Abiword 2.8, and the ltest version of Starwriter. None of yjem were any help. Is there anything else that might work or will I start again !!!

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
If those were normal Office 2003 Word documents, then Open Office would have worked.
This is not a problem with the software.

I suspect that the documents were created some other way, or they are corrupted.

Can you upload one of the documents somewhere so that I can download, and test it?
Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
You can upload the file here : https://anonfiles.com/en
This will be open to the entire internet, so please don't upload confidential files, or any file with personal information in it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have used the link and uploaded a file called Arlene1.doc for you. This is not confidental. Bye for now.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
It provides a link to the file after the upload.

Please post the link here.

It will look like this -http://cdn.anonfiles.com/1329131074412.docx
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried several times to upload the file. Every time it gave an error saying 'the filetype was not allowed' so I will attach it and send it that way ?

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
What is the file extension ?
You can also rename it to a supported file type, by changing the extension to .docx or other type in the list.

Can you open this file http://cdn.anonfiles.com/1329131074412.docx ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes the file opened as a .zip file. The file extension is .doc file that is allowed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried to convert the file and the program told me it was not a valid .doc type.

Expert:  Pieter replied 5 years ago.
I can not pin point the problem with the information that you provided.

I am opening this question to other experts.