Nick
Nick, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  I've done extensive Excel applications and even done work with VSTO. I know Office quite well.
65119931

Help! I am using a split database. I am ok using the Database

Help!
I am using a split database. I am ok using the Database Functions, Linked Table Manager to establish the links, but I now have an application where I wish to link my tables into a databse that has a password:
1. I know the password XXXXX the Linked Table Manager never asks me, just errors out.
2. I wish to precode and hide the password XXXXX as client users can do as above, but without knowing the password. Is this possible?

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Lindie

Yes, I am still waiting for an answer. I still wish to continue with the question.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats ok. I have time

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Danielle

See above

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Lindie

No, I will keep on waiting thank you

What type of database is the database which is password XXXXX?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Nick

MS Access, same as the parent application. I am trying to use the LINKED TABLE MANAGER

Will you be able to obtain adminstrator access to each client machine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In my test situation, yes. In the current version of my application, there is no problem linking to client machines. However, in my new situation, I have added a password XXXXX the child database so wish to include that password XXXXX in the linking process. Could it be a case of creating some customised code statement rather than the standard Linked Table manager tool?

When you added the new password XXXXX the database, did you delete the existing entries from the linked table manager and re-add it? That is what you need to do if you have not done it. Otherwise, you can create ODBC connections on each client machine. If you create an ODBC connection on each client machine, the password XXXXX be securely hidden from users.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Nick

I tried following your instructions, as per the MS Access Help instructions below. However, in item 2, I am unable to "delete" the old links. All i can do in the Linked Table Manager is select all links and prompt for a new location. As soon as I point at the back end database I get the "Not a Valid Password" message. This is the problem I am grappling with; how to set the password XXXXX the back end database.

I don't think I can do the ODBC connections you mention

Encrypt a split database

To encrypt a split database, you encrypt both the front-end database and the back-end database. After you encrypt the back-end database, you relink to its tables.

1. Using the steps provided in the section Encrypt a database by using a password, encrypt the back-end database.
  2. In the front-end database, delete the links to the tables in the back-end database, and then link to them again. Access will prompt you for the back-end database password XXXXX you relink.
  3. After you relink the tables, encrypt the front-end database by using the steps provided in the section Encrypt a database by using a password.
All you need to do is open your front end. If you have any startup form or
an autoexe macro, hold down the shift key when you open the mdb.
Delete all the tables from the second data source in the tables window. It doesn't delete the tables, in only deletes the links to the table. They are still in the back end.
Now relink your tables. When you try to link to a table, it will ask for the
password.
Nick, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: I've done extensive Excel applications and even done work with VSTO. I know Office quite well.