Bernie
Bernie, Office Specialist
Experience:  6+ years experience, Microsoft MCDST/CompTia A+ Certified
46068869

Sending emails in outlook 2003 I get the following email back:

Sending emails in outlook 2003 I get the following email back: 503 Valid RCPT command must precede DATA What does it mean?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be your expert today.

This is a problem with the mail server, please change these settings:

Inside Outlook 2003, on the menu bar, click Tools > Email Accounts > Then click next

Make sure you account is selected on the left, then click the change button on the right

Click More Settings > Click on Outgoing Server Tab > Click "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) requires authentication" and make sure "Use same settings as incoming mail server" is selected

Click on the Advanced Tab > Set outgoing Port (SMTP) to 587 > Click Ok and then Test Account Settings

If you get the same error again:

Click on Advanced Tab > Set outgoing Port (SMTP) to 465

Check the box Beside "The server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)".

Click ok and then Test Account Settings
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
465 was the magic number.

One other issue. I recently had a hard drive crash. My tech adviser was able to save everything to an external drive. When I moved the outlook files from my external drive to my new hard drive I found I was missing just about all sent mail, & saved mail and inbox mail from march through november. Any idea where these could be?
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Did they save the pst file, could you search the external hard drive for this?

Once you do I'll show you how to import it into your Outlook so all your data is back.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they are pst files. 85% of my history was there. But alot is missing.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Is this mail data that is missing, or contacts/calendar events?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mail and some contacts
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hmm...do you see any .csv files on the external hard drive?

Also, did you open all pst files on the external hard drive from inside Outlook (File > Open > PST file)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
import > from another file >.pst > external directory > 4 different pst files
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
I'm afraid I'm stumped on this one, I apologize...worst case scenario is that during the exporting of the pst not all the items were selected in the inbox to export.

Please ask it as a new question here and it will be sent to all experts, I am sure someone may have a better idea, click here

If you found my earlier answer on the 503 error to have helped you, please press Accept and I will be credited for that original solution, I would appreciate it.

Best regards,
Bernie