Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

MY WIFES COMPUTER HAS STARTED SENDING SPAM TO ALL HER CONTACTS.

MY WIFE'S COMPUTER HAS STARTED SENDING SPAM TO ALL HER CONTACTS. THE SUBJECT LINE READS "SEE THIS" AND THE BODY OF THE EMAIL READS "CLICK HERE TO SEE THE ATTACHED PHOTOS". WHEN OPENED IT SHOWS AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR VIAGRA OR SIMILAR PRODUCT.

I'VE SCANNED HERE COMPUTER WITH AVG AND NORTON ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE BUT HAVE NOT LOCATED ANY INFECTIONS.

ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW TO CLEAN THIS MATTER UP OR PREVENT FUTURE MAILINGS.

THANKS
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Frederick S replied 5 years ago.
Hi!

Thanks for requesting me.

It actually isn't a virus.

These types of scams/spamming e-mails are becoming extremely common these days. E-mail addresses are being taken over/accessed by two main ways: (1) by users unknowingly having their password XXXXX from a fake login page or from web sites that users have signed up on with a password XXXXX their e-mail password; and (2) weak passwords that are easily guessed by computers constantly trying to gain access to an e-mail account. Accounts are also compromised if the user responds to any emails requesting personal details like the account password, answer to security questions, etc.

Spammers are desperate for 'fresh' accounts like yours because the chance that it will get flagged as 'spam' (at first) is very low, versus most spam that never makes it to a user's inbox.

Here is what you need to do right away: Please change your password XXXXX away to avoid having this occur in the future. If you need assistance with changing your password, please Reply and let me know.

Once you change your password, the spammer who is accessing your account from a different location will no longer have access to it and you will be fine. However, please use a different password XXXXX now on for your e-mail versus any other web site, and use at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and a number, like Spectacular10, or Amazing1900. Avoid first/last names, pet names, DOB, anniversaries, etc. Those are much too common.