Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

My "search programs and file" won't work with microsoft word

Customer Question

my "search programs and file" won't work with microsoft word Whats wrong and how can i fix it
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still need to know how to fix the problem. Why would you ask this question?
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I go to the SEARCH at the letf hand side of my computer and type in the name of a Microsoft Word document, the file is found. the problem is that when I go to open the file, I get a diolog box taht says THERE WAS A PROBLEM SENDING THE COMMAND TO THE PROGRAM, and it wont open from there. I have reinstalled word aand that made no difference.

thank you

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Expert with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Expert or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
please continue, but this is taking a very long time.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Expert. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 years ago.

This error can be caused by the shortcut for word instructing the program to run as an Administrator when the circumstances will not permit it.

To check this, go to the word shortcut, right click on it, and select properties. On the compatibility tab, check to see if "run this program as an administrator" is checked. If it is, remove the check mark. If you cannot do it there (greyed out), then click on change settings for all users and remove it there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to the short cut and right clicked. The "run this program as an administrator" is not checked. What should I do now?
Is this after you have right clicked and gone to properties? You have to go to properties to check this - it's not the "run as administrator" on the right click menu.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after right clicking and going to properties.
What happens if you open Word first, and then go to the file>open menu to open the file?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It works just fine if Word is open already. No problem with the search.
I would suggest trying with the file copied to another location... for example, your desktop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, that did not work. I get a diolog box that says:

There was a problem sending the command to the program.

Click start>then type winword.exe /r

and press enter

That should re-register the extensions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I click Start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did it.
It's the start menu button on the bottom left.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did that... ran it but, it did not work. Should I restart the computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I restarted the computer and that did not work.

I will opt out and open the question to other experts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do I do now?
When another Expert takes your question, they will reply here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My question was not answered and I still have the problem. Did I get charged for this? Will my question ever get an answer? I would like you to get paid, but do I get charged if I rate you? Will that be the end of my question and problem getting fixed?

Im not happy with the result and should not have to pay for this.