Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Automated backup of Outlook 2010 .pst folder. Running Windows 7. Personal Skill Level ~ Lo

w. Simple in Office XP...
Automated backup of Outlook 2010 .pst folder. Running Windows 7. Personal Skill Level ~ Lo w.
Simple in Office XP
12/8/2011
Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
Ok, the trick is they want you to install an old add on to it, and then run a fix it....

This explains it all:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2030523

(once installed, just click on fix this problem so you don't have to mess with the registry manually)

But first you need this:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9003

Let me know if you run into any trouble...

So far ~ installed from both Links, sequentially, and then used the "Fix it for me" Button. ~ Backup does not appear under the Files Tab but does under the Add-Ins Tab. Seems the best that I can now do is to get it to remind me to Backup Daily. Is this Correct? Not fully automated as in XP 2002!

It will automatically back up when you exit the program....
Exit outlook and you'll see a window that let's you set options.
Thanks ~ I have noted the time of the latest backup and will try again in about an hour, and then get back to you. Sounds as if you may have done your bit. p.s. Storing the Backup file in My Docs enables swift access for subsidiary Backup to another External Drive.
I only wish I knew about this last friday, the power flsahed and for some reason I lost mail from dec 2010 to november 2011, no reasonable explanation I could come up with helped at all...

Not yet Automated, still works on Manual though. However, used Backup from Add-Ins Tab. Got Error 0x80070021 which says that something is still blocking, but offers "Try Again" Button, which then works.

I have to go to work now but will re-try loading the (First) Fix-it Link again, tomorrow at about the same time. Why, on earth, M$ can't include this as a standard part of the Home & Office Program, I have no idea.

What happens when you exit outlook?

At the moment nothing, unless I access Backup using the Add-Ins Tab, and tell it to backup. In which Case a Box opens with a green loading Bar in it and the Backup is carried out.

There was too much of a Gale here, for me to work, so I have been in and out of Outlook several times over the last 4 hours and no backup has been carried out.

This is what it says bout it, it looks like it's only during closing:

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/421

There is a free version of another program though:

http://www.safepstbackup.com/

Seems to work well as along as you are not saving to the root directory.
(Ignore the enterprise version)

I tried setting Reminder to "Daily"

This morning ~ When I closed Outlook, I got a reminder to Backup. Followed by a PopUp saying that it had failed to Backup but with a green Button at the bottom giving a "Try Again" option. That worked.

Do you think that that will be as good as it gets? Or should I try reloading the 'Fix it' from your first set of links?

Try this program and make sure it's not aving to root folder....
So make it like D:/backups

I have the backup working, but I have not managed to automate it. It has to be carried out by hand each day.

I have pressed the 'Accept Answer' Button although we have not solved the problem.

In my opinion Microsoft is somewhat remis in not providing a working backup solution for such a mission Critical part of its Software. I would put it somewhat stronger than that, but not in the polite terms I usually deal with Tradesmen.

The fault is not yours.

I got rid of the add in, and I've been using this free version now since you first asked the question, it works pretty good:

http://www.safepstbackup.com/

Thank you. Have they released the Deposit to you yet? If not I will hit 'Accept Answer' again.

Seems to have been a learning journey for the both of us.

I shall think about that last link for a while, before I uninstall the M$ Solution('Add in') and install it.

Nope, no accept yet....

My power flashed again this morning, this little backup oprogram seems to have done it's job, although it was loading up as soon as I turned the system on, but that could be from the power outage....

Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech
After a local Power Outrage, Power Cable down the Road cut by a JCB Digger, I moved from an Anti-surge Bar to an APC UPS 700 ES. Money well spent. In a recent Storm I got just over 8 minutes to close everything off after the lights went out.
Nice, too bad mine always happens in the middle of the night....
Their Powerchute Software will close it down for you, although I don't use it.
Other than that, how's it working out?

I'm still using the 'Add In' and just click on the Pop-up each day when it asks me. That file is then backed up, on line.

As they would have said in the Roaring Twenties "It's just Tickety Boo"

Yeah, too bad that way is still manual, but sometimes it's best that way, then you don't forget until you lose a year's worth of mail when the power goes out, (sorry, it still hurts)...

Have an enjoyable Christmas.

Don't know whether you celebrate it, or not, but it's now a spending Fest and with any luck there should be plenty of questions for you to answer afterwards.

Thanks, there's always Festivus for the rest of us...
Molinari
Molinari
Molinari, MS Office Tech