Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

access query

Customer Question
Hi are there any access...
Hi are there any access experts out there, I  have created a database need some help with primary keys, also need help with algorithm, will pay bonus
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/4/2011
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 6 years ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
My Name isXXXXX will be helping you toady. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

I can help you set up the keys so everything works with queries. As far as creating an algorithim, I don't exactly know how that would be done. Do you have a specific idea for it such as recomending books within a certain price range, or by author, or category?
hi there, i thought i would recommend just by genre based on previous sales, shall i send you on the file
sure you can go ahead an upload, I just want to be clear on what you want for your query, You will choose customer_id by entry or from a drop down, and it will look at the category or genra field and reccomend other titles in the same genera as the genera that had the most previous orders?
This is the actual requirement, i just don't know how to do it, the easiest way, the brief says " your project should be able to recommend books to the user" You are free to model this which way you choose.
a possible choice would be "people that bought this book, also liked or purchased"

The left or Right joins could be a way of implementing this, thanks

http://wikisend.com/download/433684/Database9.laccdb
ok, ill take a look
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to edit anything that you don't this is necessary, it just has to be simple, i
it will be simple.
for you maybe
lol, ok, let me get started, no need to reply, I will post an upload link within the next hour or 2
is this a 2010 file? can you do me a favor and save as a 2007 file and re upload?
Hi, I am unable to open the file
how else can i send it
open the db in your access, and then goto the office button and chose save as, one of the options is to save as access 2007, give it a different name so you know which file is which and upload the access 2007 file to wikisend and give me that link

hopefully I can then open it.
have re-sent it to you should work now http://wikisend.com/download/560210/myassignment.accdb
ok, it opens now, will get back to you soon
k
working on it now, no need to reply.
hi, i just wan't to update you as to where I am at. I cerated the relationships, primary, 2ndary keys, etcc.. I am having a little bit of trouble getting the reccomend query to work just right. The problem is that access makes everything way more dificult than it should be. Anyway I am going away for the rest of the night. I will work on it again tomarrow
great thanks
np
Hi how is it going?
Here is what I have so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o89wpgrbgx5ntzh

the primary and secondary keys are there. I am having some trouble creating the book recommend thing. Access just makes this process so difficult, if it were in PHP/Mysql I would have had it done in 5 minutes.

You will see a few queries a report and macro. I was trying to have the user select a category from a drop down box and it would then update the report based on that selection, and recommend other books from the same category. Maybe you can use what I did so far along with any textbooks you have to get it finished.

I wish I could have gotten it to work but I can't
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
you could put a query in mysql and i could use that as a screen shot and i will give you more for that, have put 20 in your account will put another 20 in
i can certainly give you the sql to do it, but it requires 2 queries, the first query will give a book id and the sencond query will use that book id to get a list of books to reccomend.

If you think you could set something up like that in access using access sql, I will give you both sql queries in standard sql language
ok thanks for your help will try that. if you could send them on to me, i should be able to save the db as a text file and load it into sql and do the queries, i will give it a try. Are you any good at ERD diagrams? you know the ones that show the cardinality that will be a separate question of course.

i will ask it in another question, and even if you can't do it, i will add the rest of bonus as promised as you have been helpful to me, i have got till next thursday to get all of this finished
i have to go to an appointment but ill send you a query based on the access tables, query will be in standard SQL.
ok great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX see the other question re erd
let me work on this query first.
can you suggest anyway that i could improve the 2nf and 3nf?,I just made the data up, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved, i will pay you more to fix it up
lets close this question and work off the other question, it will be easier that way. But I could suggest a good 3nf stucture.
ok thanks,
ok shall i send in another fresh question
i think your a subscriber right. Well yes I would appreciative a fresh question, my profile is at
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/
vwill put 50 in a/c tom morning if you re-do it for me
ok, im closing this question, no more need to reply
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager