The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

access query

Hi are there any access experts out there, I  have created a database need some help with primary keys, also need help with algorithm, will pay bonus
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 5 years ago.
My Name isXXXXX will be helping you toady. If I provide good service, you may ask for The-PC-Guy in your question title for your future needs.

I can help you set up the keys so everything works with queries. As far as creating an algorithim, I don't exactly know how that would be done. Do you have a specific idea for it such as recomending books within a certain price range, or by author, or category?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi there, i thought i would recommend just by genre based on previous sales, shall i send you on the file
sure you can go ahead an upload, I just want to be clear on what you want for your query, You will choose customer_id by entry or from a drop down, and it will look at the category or genra field and reccomend other titles in the same genera as the genera that had the most previous orders?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is the actual requirement, i just don't know how to do it, the easiest way, the brief says " your project should be able to recommend books to the user" You are free to model this which way you choose.
a possible choice would be "people that bought this book, also liked or purchased"

The left or Right joins could be a way of implementing this, thanks

http://wikisend.com/download/433684/Database9.laccdb
ok, ill take a look
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to edit anything that you don't this is necessary, it just has to be simple, i
it will be simple.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
for you maybe
lol, ok, let me get started, no need to reply, I will post an upload link within the next hour or 2
is this a 2010 file? can you do me a favor and save as a 2007 file and re upload?
Hi, I am unable to open the file
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how else can i send it
open the db in your access, and then goto the office button and chose save as, one of the options is to save as access 2007, give it a different name so you know which file is which and upload the access 2007 file to wikisend and give me that link

hopefully I can then open it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have re-sent it to you should work now http://wikisend.com/download/560210/myassignment.accdb
ok, it opens now, will get back to you soon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
k
working on it now, no need to reply.
hi, i just wan't to update you as to where I am at. I cerated the relationships, primary, 2ndary keys, etcc.. I am having a little bit of trouble getting the reccomend query to work just right. The problem is that access makes everything way more dificult than it should be. Anyway I am going away for the rest of the night. I will work on it again tomarrow
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
great thanks
np
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi how is it going?
Here is what I have so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/?o89wpgrbgx5ntzh

the primary and secondary keys are there. I am having some trouble creating the book recommend thing. Access just makes this process so difficult, if it were in PHP/Mysql I would have had it done in 5 minutes.

You will see a few queries a report and macro. I was trying to have the user select a category from a drop down box and it would then update the report based on that selection, and recommend other books from the same category. Maybe you can use what I did so far along with any textbooks you have to get it finished.

I wish I could have gotten it to work but I can't
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you could put a query in mysql and i could use that as a screen shot and i will give you more for that, have put 20 in your account will put another 20 in
i can certainly give you the sql to do it, but it requires 2 queries, the first query will give a book id and the sencond query will use that book id to get a list of books to reccomend.

If you think you could set something up like that in access using access sql, I will give you both sql queries in standard sql language
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks for your help will try that. if you could send them on to me, i should be able to save the db as a text file and load it into sql and do the queries, i will give it a try. Are you any good at ERD diagrams? you know the ones that show the cardinality that will be a separate question of course.

i will ask it in another question, and even if you can't do it, i will add the rest of bonus as promised as you have been helpful to me, i have got till next thursday to get all of this finished
i have to go to an appointment but ill send you a query based on the access tables, query will be in standard SQL.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX see the other question re erd
let me work on this query first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you suggest anyway that i could improve the 2nf and 3nf?,I just made the data up, any suggestions would be gratefully recieved, i will pay you more to fix it up
lets close this question and work off the other question, it will be easier that way. But I could suggest a good 3nf stucture.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok shall i send in another fresh question
i think your a subscriber right. Well yes I would appreciative a fresh question, my profile is at
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
vwill put 50 in a/c tom morning if you re-do it for me
ok, im closing this question, no more need to reply