Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I SAVED OVER A WORD DOC BY MISTAKE, CAN I RECOVER THE ORIG

Customer Question
INAL...
I SAVED OVER A WORD DOC BY MISTAKE, CAN I RECOVER THE ORIG INAL
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/7/2011
Microsoft Office Technician: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the experts who will assist you today!

since you have windows 7, your in luck.

Find the word document you saved over in y our my documents folder..

Right click the document, click properties.. Then at the top left click the previous versions tab.

it shoudl show you a previous version. Choose a version that was before you saved over it, and double left click it..

It should open it inside word.. Then simply save the document again.

That should take care of the issue.. If you get stuck or have any issues, let me know!

Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you.

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.
If my answer helped, please make sure to leave positive feedback on the screen that comes up after clicking accept. If my answer did not work, please wait to leave feedback till we get the issue fixed!

there are no previous versions listed

Hmmm.. Question..

How old is this document, and how long ago did you save over it?
i started the document last night, and saved over it in error about twenty minutes ago. I had been saved since last niight
So you had saved it since last night before now, or you hadnt?

yes it has been saved since last night

Excellent..

lets do this first

go to start, my documents, then on the top left click organize, then click

folder and search options, then click view.

then scroll down a small ways till you see " show hidden files and folders."

Put a check mark in it.. then.

click apply..

Now , click start and where it says search programs and files

type in *.asd

Dont hit enter!!!

on the top left, it should show you a list of autosave documents.. right click one and tehn click open file location.. These files should be your autosave copies of the document

Find one that was about the time you saved the document last night.. then double click it to open it.. If this works you will have your document back!
I don't find any auto saved documents
did you show hidden files first?
yes... it does not show ant *.asd files at all...... I know i saved it previously
Ok..

when you type in the *.asd

click where it says see more results

then click search again in computer

does that bring up any asd files?

I really appreciate your help..... i searched through my c drive, the only drive listed, it brings up several files but I do not see the file in question
Ok.. it may not be named the same..

What were looking for is a asd file, within the time frame you were working on the document.

Anything that matches the time frame?
no... all these files are months old, nothing recent
hmmm..

One last question.. When you tried previous versions, did it say there were none? Or did it say previous version werent turned on?

it says there are no previous versions available\

Ok.. I dont think im going to be able to help you.. Im sorry to say that, however we have tried all neccesary steps..

if you need anything further, let me know!
ONE QUESTION, AFTER RIGHT CLICKING AND GOING TO THE RESTORE PREVIOUS VERSIONS.... UNDER THE DETAILS TAB, IT SAYS THERE ARE TWO REVISIONS, DOES THAT HELP ANY?
Yes!!!

That helps a lot..

The two revisions.. Start with the bottom one.. right click it then open it.

Then, right click the firdt one than open it.

Are either one your file?

Sorry... it says 2 previous versions under the details tab, where it says this there is no clickable link. after i right click on the file, it brings up 4 tabs. General, Security, Details and Previous Versions. when I click on the details tab about half way down the page it says "2 previous versions" but it does not have a link to connect to them

Got you.. I think the file is there.. If you woudl like, I can do a quick remote support session with you so i can log into your computer and make sure whether or not the file is there.. Would you be ok with that?
yes... i am typing on one computer and have the computer with the file here as well on wi fi. do i need to log it into a web site or something
I need you to do the following, from the computer that is supposed to have t he file on it.

Click the link below

http://67.192.95.188:8040/guest.aspx?Session=bfec4bf3-b4a3-44a1-95d0-9a1b73cebdcf&SUPPORT=JAVAW

accept the terms..

Then install the software, then make sure to click join, and then.. Send me a message saying I have joined..
i have joined
please standby.. I should be joining you now.

My next message will arrive on a instant message box , on your computer

Hey..... The scan finished running and I found some documents with the correct title, but have not had any luck recovering them

Hi.. I was offline when you responded..

If you want, I can connect to you later today, and have a look at what documents it found.

Hopefully, it found what we are looking for..
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist