Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

Cannot open Outlook 2010 other than in safe mode. Have rebuilt

Customer Question

Cannot open Outlook 2010 other than in safe mode. Have rebuilt user and recopied pst file. Deleted all add-ons. Tried telling shortcut to run in maximize mode. I can get tasks from right clicking icon (outlook is running in task manager) - I can write a new email or make a new contact or set up a meeting... I have reached breaking point. This PC is part of a domain and I do not want to set up a new user. Any suggestions?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Question.. The pc thats having the issue..

Is it a windows xp, vista, or windows 7 computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
Lets try this..

Click start, click the control panel, click uninstall a program

then.. click office 2010.. then at the top of the window, click the button for " change"

then. when it opens up the new window.. click repair..

Once t he repair is done, restart the computer and try to open outlook, does it still load in safe mode?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Obviously something I did previously finally kicked in because it just opened normally and I read your answer in normal mode.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 years ago.
You may want to try the repair anyways.. Just to be safe.

Also.. Have you ran scanpst on your pst file yet?

A lot of times, outlook force starting in safe mode is a sign of a damaged pst file.

if the issue comes back.. let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I never accepted your answer because I never used it. I told you that it had worked out with one of the things I had tried to do. I thought I would be charged only if I accepted your answer. But I have been charged. If you have not been paid let me know. If I paid there is no reason you should not be. But I will never use this service again.