Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My parents 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier is not turning…

Customer Question
My parents 2007 Mercury...

My parents 2007 Mercury Mountaineer Premier is not turning over. Changed starter, it was tested and it was bad. But it still won’t turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine turn over at all? Is this the original starter?

Does NOT turn over. Not the original starter because I changed it out with a new one last night.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I have changed the starter and the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma’am that’s all.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercury
2/22/2020
Mercury Mechanic: Mike V., Automotive Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Automotive Technician

Hi, my name is*****’ve been a technician on Just Answer since 2007 and I'll be helping you today. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your vehicle. I know how inconvenient car trouble is, but together, we will get your vehicle back up and running quickly.

• You may be prompted to accept phone service. I do not offer this service, nor do I make the calls but other technicians may make a call and help you with your vehicle needs if you wish to accept this service.

May I ask whom I am chatting with today?

My name is Bradley.

Hi Bradley, it's nice to meet you.

Does it make any noise when you try to start it? A click or series of rapid clicks?

Nothing

Thanks, ***** ***** not make any sounds with the other starter either?

Also, which engine is in this one?

It didn't make any noise then either. however when I was removing the old starter, i forgot to pull battery cable off, and it turned over with the key not in the ignition.4.0 6cylinder

Thanks, ***** ***** have a test light?

I do not. But I was planning on getting one today

Ok, check fuse #3 and fuse #11 in the fuse box under the hood. If they are good, then I suspect the problem will be the neutral safety switch. We will need to test it to be sure.

sir

Ok, let me know and we can go from there.

3 is good

#11?

11 is good as well

Ok, you'll need the test light now so we can check the wiring to the neutral safety switch. If you've never used one, I suggest checking out some video's on youtube on how to use it to familiarize yourself so we can do the testing. No sound at all is usually the switch causing the problem

Where is the neutral safety switch located?

It's mounted on the side of the transmission under the shift linkage under the truck.

Here is a link for the removal procedure.

I will not be on tomorrow, but if you post here I will get it first thing Monday and respond.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amox2kan6q21yer/rangesensor.pdf?dl=0

this part would cause it to not turn over at all?

Yes, if the truck doesn't know it's in park or neutral it's not going to crank. The computer won't allow it. It's like trying to start your car in drive, not going to happen. Normally when you get no sound at all, this is the issue. I can't give you a 100% guarantee it's the problem without testing.

10-4 I'll be working on it again tomorrow.

Sunday is my day off, but I thought I should let you know that.

If you need anything, leave a post here and I will get back to you on Monday morning.

Thanks.

Neutral safety switch is good. What else could it be?

Did you get a test light so we can actually check for power at the correct locations?
I ask because this could be the battery fuse box, there are some issues with them, the security system if the PATS system is set. Usually you would know by a fast flashing security light when you turn the key on.

My dad tested it and said everything was good

Tested what? and how was it tested?