Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1997 merc c 280 is sending heat and a/c at the same time…

Customer Question
My 1997 merc c...

My 1997 merc c 280 is sending heat and a/c at the same time when i press the low button on the climate control.how can i fix this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Coolant is good and no leaks found when tracer coloring was applied with coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tracer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I cleaned the duo valve and flushed the radiator.added new antifreeze

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Mercury
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
how long do i have to wait for the answers,and your added fee of 19 dollars came un announced and feels like an ambush
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
how long do i have to wait for the answers,and your added fee of 19 dollars came un announced and feels like an ambush.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/29/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 20 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician

Sorry if the site did that to you, just so you know, I'm a contractor, I don't work for Justanswer, I use a system almost identical to the one you ask questions on and I only get paid if you hit accept, so don't shoot the messenger. I'm going to help you fix your car.

Can you explain, "When I press the low button" do you mean when you press the directional button to blow air out at foot level?

And I can put you in for a refund later if you're unsatisfied, I know the problem, but diagnosis is tricky without a scan tool.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
how long do i have to wait for the answers,and your added fee of 19 dollars came un announced and feels like an ambush.the climate control diagnostic function gave me a reading of 416 and 417 or the duo valve.so i cleaned it and simultaneously changed the anti freeze but i still got the same sympton of heat theough the left and right vents,and cold air through the center vents .This happens when i depress the start button on the climate control,and it is set to "low' or 52 degrees.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
how long do i have to wait for the answers,and your added fee of 19 dollars came un announced and feels like an ambush. The climate control diagnostic function gave me a reading of 416 and 417 or the duo valve.so i cleaned it and simultaneously changed the anti freeze but i still got the same sympton of heat theough the left and right vents,and cold air through the center vents .This happens when i depress the start button on the climate control,and it is set to "low' or 52 degrees.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
how long do i have to wait for the answers,and your added fee of 19 dollars came un announced and feels like an ambush. The climate control diagnostic function gave me a reading of 416 and 417 or the duo valve.so i cleaned it and simultaneously changed the anti freeze but i still got the same symptom of heat through the left and right vents,and cold air through the center vents .This happens when i depress the start button on the climate control,and it is set to "low' or 52 degrees.

Well I asked you a question to clarify, I see your response.

So here's the issue, your vehicle has flap motors in the dash that set the temperature and location of the airflow. One of those flap motors has failed, when you set it to low, it's either moving too far, or not enough, or it's being told it's in the wrong position and going completely the other direction. Usually you need a scan tool to diagnose this, what you can try doing, is set the fan speed low so you can hear the flap motors, locate them up under the dash, they're in the heater box and have wires running to them, they're the only thing like that. Decrease the temperature slowly to just before it blows hot air, then push the button to 52 degrees and see if you can hear one of them move a lot, or make abnormal noises. When adjusting these, they should only make a noise for a fraction of a second, almost a tick noise, when adjusting slowly.

You'll get a feel for what they SHOULD sound like when you slowly adjust it with the fan low. If you hear one of them constantly adjusting and ticking, that's the bad one, sometimes they claim the dash has to come out to replace but often you can find a way to get it out without doing so.

Just a tip as well, you used a credit card, this site doesn't just steal peoples money, it's literally not even possible when using a credit card because they protect you from fraud, we've been around 15 years we wouldn't still be here the site did that.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

And again, I haven't gotten a dime of your money, the site keeps the money until you hit accept. So if you put in for a refund let me know, but don't just take off with the correct answer and not hit accept because you're mad at the site, that doesn't hurt anybody but me, we don't make even a minimum hourly wage I only get paid a portion of your accept. Don't be mad at me, I didn't take your money ok.

Also, we're in the US, and it's the middle of the night, so I just happen to like to answer questions at night because it's easier to get them, also I'm a German car tech so it makes sense as most of the questions are European at night. Waiting 2 hours is better than a Chevy mechanic trying to talk you through fixing your Mercedes. Trust me.

Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician