Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 96 Mercury Sable and it was running and when I shut…

Customer Question
I have a 96...

I have a 96 Mercury Sable and it was running and when I shut it off 2 days ago it wouldn't start again and it's all it does is Click by the brain Box by the battery when you turn the key the lights come on on the inside but there's no

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Spark to the ignition. Yes I can turn the steering wheel know the key is not worn or damaged

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Please try jumping it we tried to reset the battery died just connecting cables for 20 minutes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercury
5/27/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Your battery is not fully charged I would remove it and have the battery charged, once you get it running again then you use a voltmeter to check the charging system voltage and make sure it's outputting 14 volts with no loads on and mid to high 13 volts with all the electrical consumers on.A lot of times with the jumper cables people by the internal wires inside of the jumper cables are too thin to actually charge the battery like that especially if you were trying to do it at idle you needed to have the other vehicle at about 2000 RPM while you have the jumper cables hooked up for the battery take a charge. If alternator hasn't been charging the battery fully than there's a good chance you're not even going to be able to get the battery to take a charge because it's sulfated and faulty.If you pull the battery out and you take it to the auto parts store they'll actually charge it for you and then they'll tell you whether or not the battery is any good. Even after you get it running I would still check the alternator charging voltage because if that is the actual concern that led to the symptom which is the battery being faulty then you're just going to go through this all over again.If I've answered your question please remember to hit accept next to my name because that's the only way I get paid for my time, if you have any more questions please let me know.