Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Temp gauge doesn't work properly and Engine will suddenly…

Customer Question
Temp gauge doesn't work...

Temp gauge doesn't work properly and Engine will suddenly shut off as with key can turn key off and it restarts

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key is fine and steering is fine as long as you don't turn to lock position

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2001 Mercury Grand Marquis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced temp sensor as it sometimes would not leave cold mark. If it did and come up to temp car ran fine. other times It would go to cold going down hill the go back to normal going up hill

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Temp sensor also raises and lowers with engine speed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercury
3/30/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician replied 3 months ago
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....does or is the check engine light come on?
No
No there are no codes
Ok....your vehicle is susceptible to the intake manifold cracking at the point where the ECT sensor screws into it....can you look and see if there is any greenish/white residue in that area?
I don't want to switch t phone as I am old and hard of hearing. I can not detect any residue
Installing new ECT sensor had little to no affect in how the gauge reads. Engine performance is directly tied to how the gauge is working. In the cold range the engine stumbles if you try to pick up speed.
I also believe this should be sending an out of range code to the OBD but it does not seem to.
No... It won't set a code unless the signal is too high or too low, or no signal....how many miles are on your vehicle?
129961 Miles on vehicle
Live one mile up a hill, drive up hill and drive into garage temp registers normal, set idling for a minute temp drops to cold, rev engine temp rises and falls with engine rpm
It is late will read your reply in am
Ok...let's replace the Thermostat and drain and replace the Coolant.
Please rate my answer to your question....I only get credit for helping you when you rate my answer...if you are not satisfied with my answer or if you require any further assistance, please continue to ask questions until you are satisfied. Thank you for using JA.
I just installed a new sensor and new anti freeze. I am more interested in why engine quits not the temp although they seem to be related. I can live with a bad temperature reading but not an engine failure.
Did you replace the thermostat?
Are you still in need of assistance?
it has a new thermostat
Have you ever had the system scanned for codes.... I remember I had quite a few very early Grand Marquis and Town Cars from between 2001 and 2003 where one of the coils would misfire and it would make the temperature gauge go crazy and it would always set a code p1299 and it wouldn't be a misfire code Oviya code for the temperature sensor and what happens is that the coil is shorting out the voltage to all the sensors and for some reason that's what happens and it's funny that you're mentioning that the car shutting off I think you're having a misfire on one of your coils do you feel it bucking when the temperature gauge is going up and down?
I answered this question earlier there are no codes, even when the engine shuts down just like I had turned the key off. If you try to restart the engine with out turning key to off and then back on the engine will not restart until key has been turned completely off then back on so it is resetting something.
That's because the coil shuts down the power to the computer....and you have to turn it off and on again in order for it to start. Without any codes stored in the memory one time I had a vehicle doing the same exact thing and I got one new coil and I started at number one cylinder and put the new coil on the number one cylinder and then I would take it for a ride and if it's still exhibited the concern I would take that coil and put it on the number 2 cylinder and so on and so forth until I got the concern to go away and that's the cylinder that I found out the coil was shorting... Sometimes it only misfires for a brief second and it's enough to shut down the system because it kills the power to the computer and all the sensors so I know you may not want to do it but the only way you may find out if the coil is causing the problem
Thanks I will try that but it will be some time before I can tell you if that solves it
I realize that but since we don't have any codes to go on that's the best suggestion I can give you so hopefully it will work for you but as I stated before I had this exact same problem quite a few times and I remember when that temperature gauge is going all over the place if you watch either the over temperature light will blink on or the check engine light will briefly blink on but again without a code that specify which cylinder is misfiring the best way to do it is one coil at a time just buy one new coil and go down each Bank of cylinders until you find the one that's bad
Thanks and we will end with that
Ok. Please rate my answer to your question....I only get credit for helping you when you rate my answer...if you are not satisfied with my answer, or if you require any further assistance, please continue to ask questions. Thank you for using JA.