Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I normally use one key to start my 2000 Grand Marquis - I…

Customer Question
I normally use one...

I normally use one key to start my 2000 Grand Marquis - I misplaced it and used an alternate spare that I have successfully used before although it has required a few turnovers - I drove a short distance and on my return trip home - car would not start. Had to have it towed home. A friend of a friend ran a diagnostic and said it was not the fuel system but the PAC system shut the fuel supply down and he told me that he attempted to re-program. He disconnected the battery and told me to let the car sit for 2 days to allow the computer to shut down - then reconnect and try. If unsuccessful, have to tow my car to dealership. I have very limited income and called dealership to find out what it would cost me to have computer reprogrammed. I was told the amount ranged from 125 to 1000 dollars. What is a realistic amount a dealership would charge? I love this car but cannot invest 1000 to get it running again. I paid 1900 for it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It doesn't start - turns over fine but will not start completely - previous to problem- it started without compressing gas pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am a 4'10" 70 yr old woman. I have done research on internet and assumed it was fuel pump or fuel filter or fuse but that did not come up on diagnostic that someone did with hand held diagnostic - he came up with B1601 PATS - incorrect key code transponder and P1260 THEFT DETECTED ENGINE DISABLED - last time I drove I, I switched to seldom used key instead of my regular key because I misplaced it. After I had it towed home, I tried my regular key and it would not start.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mercury
3/29/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Likely what the problem is, is a transceiver failing. The transceiver is the part that reads the key. the key is programmed to start the vehicle and even if you made a duplicate that would open the doors and turn the ignition switch, it would fail to start the vehicle as the key was not programmed. So what I would suggest is this before you tow it to the dealership, Call a mobile automotive locksmith in your area. Tell them the year and make of your vehicle, and ask them if they can come out and program you another key or diagnose and repair your theft system fault. Most automotive locksmiths now have the capability to cut and program keys on Fords and they have seen alot of these systems before. They can come out and fix it and likely save you a lot of money without towing it to the dealership. If it does have a code stored for the anti theft system I believe this is the best course of action. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

sounds like good advice - hopefully the programming that the repair man made takes hold - I was told to wait for two days before reconnecting battery - if his attempts were unsuccessful - I will follow your advice - I was not looking forward to towing my car to dealership and paying dealership prices - thank you, Edward!!!

I understand. I believe a local automotive locksmith should be able to fix it. They can usually program the key and fix 90% of them without having to tow it.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you!