Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I trying to determine which side of the solenoid the

Hi, I trying to...

Hi, I trying to determine which side of the solenoid the fuseable link wires are connected to positive or negative for 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis. I guess a diagram would be good just can't seem to find one right now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mercury Grand Marquis. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Yes old ones burned up. i do want to connect to the wrong side of the solenoid and have them burn up again.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you referring to the wire connections at the starter solenoid?

Okay, your fuse link wires are power feed wires and they need to connect to the same post on the solenoid as the battery cable does. The other larger post is where the cable to the starter connects and no other wires and or cable should be placed on it.

The side with the positive battery cable at least one fuse link wire connected to it and the other side has at at least two fuse link wires connected to it.. The small terminal on top has one red plug in small wire. Not sure if the bottom small terminal has any wires connected to it. I not sure where to connect the fuseable link wire that burned. Do you have a diagram?

All of the fuse link wire need to be on the same post as the positive battery cable. The red/blue wire from the ignition switch goes on the small pin post. The only cable on the other larger post is the cable running down to the starter.

Do you have a diagram for 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis?

Yes I got that but thats not the correct way to wire it, All of the fuse link wire need to be on the same post as the positive battery cable. The red/blue wire from the ignition switch goes on the small pin post. The only cable on the other larger post is the cable running down to the starter.

so that I can get it wired Correctly?

Unfortunately, due to the age of the car, there are no diagrams but if you wire it like I am telling you it will be correct. Have a look at the link below. This is the correct way to wire it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wsr1e097pxoc3n/start%20Mar%2028.pdf?dl=0

Can you draw one with the connections to all 4 posts?

The picture I sent you shows it better then any drawing I could produce, All of the fuse link wire need to be on the same post as the positive battery cable. The red/blue wire from the ignition switch goes on the small pin post. The only cable on the other larger post is the cable running down to the starter. If you wire it this way you will be all set.

Thanks I will try it right now then I will do your rating.
I need to go to my home computer to open your drop box.

See the drawing I just made for you and see if this will help The file will open for you on a regular PC. If you have any doubt then please look at my diagram.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igp0vonshr60nxs/start%20circuit%20Mar%2028.pdf?dl=0

I have all the Fuseable link wires are now connected to the positive battery cable side of the solenoid. I have a wire with what looks to be a capacitor or suppressor on the end of it, where does this connect? I do not have enough terminal stud to on the positive side to connect any more wires. Also,the red/blue wire from the ignition switch goes on the small pin post on one side. what goes on the other small pinpost? Is it left empty?

That is a radio noise suppressor and it mounts to the mounting bot at the solenoid. The small red wire does go on the pin and the other pin is left blank.

The pictures you sent do not look like mine my car has more wires and wire with a capacitor on the end.

You can leave the suppressor off the post and mount to the mounting bolt on the solenoid. The car should start and run if you have your wires where you say you have them.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician