Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My AC pulley is noisy. I am trying to figure out if I can…

Hi Michael, my AC pulley...
Hi Michael, my AC pulley is noisy. I am trying to figure out if I can pull the pulley off and replace the bearing or just get a compressor from an auto recycler. What do you recommend?
3/27/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello Tony, the pulley is replaceable, it's held on by a snap ring. I'd pull the pulley off and inspect the shaft seal, if there is oil residue behind the pulley I'd replace the compressor. If it's dry I'd replace the pulley, coil, and hub.

Look at this picture. The arrow is pointing to the edge of the snap ring. May have to clean the area out to find the snap ring.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars please let me know.

I got the snap ring off. Do I use a 3 jaw puller to pull the pulley from the shaft?

No. Do not press on the shaft. Using a puller will damage the compressor by putting pressure on the compressor shaft. I'm sure it's attached snugly. I typically use two screwdrivers around the edges and pry it off using equal pressure both sides of the pulley, carefully. If it cocks to one side you can damage the compressor.

Hi Michael, I can't seem to get the pulley off. I am very sure that the compressor is bad anyway. I have removed most of the refrigerant lines and the receiver dryer. The compressor is loose, but I am having trouble separating the refrig line connector from the compressor. I removed one bolt on the top side. Please see attached photo. Does it separate where the screw driver is pointing? The area is pretty rusty. Suggestions??

Yes, the manifold line is attached to the compressor by a long bolt with a 10mm head. Once you have that off the line should come right off. If the compressor is loose the tension between the line and compressor may hold them together. You can try to pry the line off of the compressor to separate them.

Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Tech
I got it all apart! I'm all set now! Thanks for your help!