Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am changing the transmission fluid on my 2005 Grand

Hi Michael, I am changing the...
Hi Michael,
I am changing the transmission fluid on my 2005 Grand Marquis today. Do you know if the torque converter has a drain plug? If not, I guess I am only changing 30% of the fluid! Do you have a detailed procedure including torque for the drain pan? Thanks!
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Give me a moment to review your question. If your VIN is available please send it to me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VIN IS 2MEHM75W25X632048

Unfortunately the 2005 Grand Marquis does not have a torque converter drain plug.

Follow these steps to drain and refill the fluid:

1. Place a drain pan under the transmission pan. Remove the bolts on the front side of the pan. Then work your way down the sides of the pan. Taking out one on each side of a time. Let the front of the pan hang down to drain some fluid as you go. Finally lower the pan and drain the rest of the fluid from the pan.
  2. Clean the gasket. If the gasket is in good condition it is reusable. If not, replace the gasket.
  3. Reinstall the gasket and pan. Start all of the pan bolts before tightening any. Once all bolts are started torque them to 10 lb-ft (120 lb-in) in a criss cross pattern.
  4. Add 5 quarts of fluid and start the engine. Sitting still, shift the shift lever through all of the gears. Then back to park.
  5. Let the vehicle warm up and adjust the fluid level as necessary.

If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to ask. If not, please rate my service. If for any reason you feel you cannot rate my service five stars let me know.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Hi Michael, mission accomplished! Car seems to run well. The next car I need to do is my 2006 Lincoln Town Car. I noticed that Rock Auto sells a transmission oil pan that has a drain plug. Would that be a wise investment? I think it is $30. Also do you have a preference for trans oil filters? Is Motorcraft prefered or is WIX just as good. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Please see attached image. Is this a plug from the dipstick hole when the transmission is installed in the car and the dipstick tube is inserted? Is it unusual for other mechanics to leave this in the pan? The transmission has been serviced on 2 or three other occasions.
what you have pictured is the plug from the factory for the dipstick tube hole. They just knock it into the transmission pan when the install the dipstick tube.As far as the transmission pan goes, it's your preference. If it was my car I wouldn't just because whenever I drained my pan I want to inspect the magnet in the pan to see if there is excessive metal contamination.The motorcraft filter is the better option. Not all filters are created equal.
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Tech
Most techs throw those away. I have a few of them I use when having the transmissions out for repair. Some transmission services don't drop the pan. Most shops now use flushing machines that change the fluid using the cooler lines.
Michael
Michael
Michael, Ford Senior Master Tech