Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

05 mercury mariner. Starts up then stall imidiatley.

Customer Question
05 mercury mariner. Starts...

05 mercury mariner. Starts up then stall imidiatley

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mariner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything works just won't stay running

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was driving it down the road a couple days ago and randomly stalled would not start back up since then will crank over but stalls immediately

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercury
3/22/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Has anything been checked or tested for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Coolant sensor just changed mass air cleaned new battery new alternator new fuel pump and filter. Getting ready to install idle air control

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Installed idle air control module. Didn't fix problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Also tried unhooking battery leaving off for 15 minutes and then opening and closing or unlocking and locking door with key then starting car to see if it was anti theft problem that did not work so I don't know if there's any other things you can do if it was something to do with the anti-theft system

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last couple of days.

This does sound like one of the theft system components at fault.I have seen issues with the immobilizer that reads the key/remote as well as the key/remote at fault most commonly.What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set in all computers in your vehicle.Once this is done there should be a theft code stored in one of the computers that will then help to locate which component is at fault needing replaced.In some cases, all that is needed is to have the computer perform a theft relearn to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician