Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  master tech
24571351

I have a 2000 mercury cougar, 2.5L. I just put a brand new

Customer Question

I have a 2000 mercury cougar, 2.5L. I just put a brand new alternator in it but the battery keeps draining like the alternator not charging it. Had the alternator tested and it's fine.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: I have tested it, it has a low charge from around 9.7V. when I jump the car it starts up runs for a minute but when I take the cables off and put my meter on I can see the volts dropping fast till the car dies out.
JA: Are you fixing your Cougar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am, so far I've tried replacing the alternator and the battery. both new. Still running into the battery draining and car dying. Ive read on a post in this page that it could be a fuse from the alternator in the fuse box but I'm not sure which fuse to test
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Go ahead
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Go ahead
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I currently have the alternator pulled out also, took it in today to test

Have you done an AVR test on the charging system as this test is a complete test on the system that checks every aspect , starter draw, charging, diodes. and battery load test. this will eliminate any guess work . The last check to do if all those tests are good is a parasitic draw test, this is a test to make sure there isn't anything draining the battery .

I just offered a service that may be beneficial to speed things up if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have a vault meter, but not sure how to do this avr test,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe I just found my problem, in the fuse box under f2 it calls for a brown 7.5 fuse. In its place was a 10 and its blown

That is done with a AVR tester usually in a shop. I'll send a pic. I recommend doing all tests in the vehicle as this is where it performs.

that could be but if it called for a lesser fuse and blew a 10 I hope there isn't a short there so be careful. I can help you find that if needed too.

replace with the ratted fuse and check with your volt meter and get back to me.