Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Blower motor not blowing. Replaced motor and resistor. 2009…

Blower motor not blowing...

Blower motor not blowing. Replaced motor and resistor.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

2009 mercury grand marquis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

250,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm doing the work myself

3/20/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Does your Grand Marquis have automatic AC (buttons) or manual AC (knobs)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Auto

And you replace the blower motor and the blower motor speed controller?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir
And I've swapped the relay and chechecked the fuses inside the cabin

There is one other fuse located in the under hood fuse panel that powers the blower motor relay, be sure to check the fuse F101 (40 AMP). If it checks okay then you are going to need to do some testing, are you able to do this if I post the steps?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
F101 is good

Okay I have enclosed the step for blower mot testing in the first link below. Start your testing at test Q1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi31sqe92wjqstl/Blower%20testing%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

See the circuit wiring in this link for testing reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5lauu6fo0jzip8/blower%20wiring%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

See the blower motor relay location in this link as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwr3zs1galdy8dp/relay%20location%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Quick question, the motor speed is a manual knob, everything else is digital. So I don't have a panel "button" for Q1

Okay then you have a manual system and the testing is different. Let me dig the manual steps up for you.

See the blower testing step for the manual system in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7jyh3r86emvp7y/Blower%20motor%20M%20Testing%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

See the wiring diagram in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbhtbe23oacke7c/blower%20wiring%20M%20Mar%2020.pdf?dl=0

The blower relay should be in the same location as well.

You have an automatic AC system and yes the EATC system that you have uses a blower motor speed controller and the manual system uses a resistor. The first steps I sent you are the correct ones.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Testing is complete, still no air movement

Well if testing is complete what was the conclusion? The test steps if done properly should lead you to the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Test said replace relay. There are 3 relays all the same so I swapped them, no luck on getting air to blow

Do you have key on power at pins 86 and 3 at the blower motor relay?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
86 & 30

Yes, do you have power on pins 86 and 30?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do

Okay but the relay back in, turn the key and the blower motor on and see if you have power at the blower motor connector on the Pink/white wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do have power

Okay if you ground the Orange wire at the blower motor connector will the blower motor run?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

Well if you have power to it on the pink/white power supply and you supply the ground to it on the orange wire it should come on, if it does not then it's no good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, we went straight off of the battery to the blower motor. Negative to black wire, positive to orange wire, blower motor runs

Well, then you need to recheck the power to it at the pink/white wire and the ground at the Orange wire which comes from the blower motor speed controller.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fixed
As stupid as I feel, I disconnected the speed controller and plugged it back in again. I must not have made a good connection the first time. Thanks for all of your help

That sure makes sense, glad you got it resolved and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician