Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

We have Mercury Marauder with the transmission acting up.

We have Mercury...

We have Mercury Marauder with the transmission acting up. It's not going into OD and its not wanting to shift into 2nd now unless we get rolling in first, slip it into neutral. Then it goes right into 3rd. Doesn't do this every time but it does it pretty regualrly now.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

86000 miles, no leaking. It just started this today. Could it be the shift servos?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Marauder?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Marauder yourself? What have you tried so far?

This just started today ... haven't tried to do anything yet. Just crawled under the car and all looks normal. Fluid is not burnt or discolored.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/17/2018
Scott W.
Scott W., Mercury Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** the computer been tested for codes?

As I said, this just started today. We took it on a trip about 100+ miles and all was well. Coming back it didn't want to shift out of 1st. We shut it off, restarted it - same thing. We tried it a couple more times and all was well for a while - even went into OD.
Then we stopped for gas and it didn't want to shift again into 2nd. Same thing - got it rolling in 1st, slipped it to neutral and it went into 3rd. Then it shifted normally at a couple lights but no OD. OD seems gone and 2nd is sketchy
No codes from the OBDII.
Trans cooler seems cool = normal. Trans does't seem hot or smell hot. No leaks anywhere.

Ok it could be codes might stored, but the tester you have doesn't recognize them, when this happens it just shows no codes. Or it could be an input telling the computer the incorrect information like the TR sensor and the computer is not allowing the upshift to occur.

What need to be done is have good scan tool look at the pids and see if the computer is actually commanding the shifts.

TR sensor - where is it and how can I test it? It does seem more like a control issue rather than a true trans issue.

Since it was working then quit, then worked again I can only suspect a sensor or wiring concern.

Seems likely to me. We were driving in the rain this morning. Could be a wet or bad connection.

The tr sensor is located on the left side of the transmission, by the shift linakge shaft.

Oh yes definitely if water got inside, it skews the circuits and causes all sort of shift concerns.

I think I know what you're talking about. Any way to test it with a meter?

I would start by looking inside the connector first, if there is any green corrosion inside the connector or sensor, I would replace the sensor and pigtail.

Let me look for some information for testing, I am not sure what I can give because we go off codes and pinpoint tests, but I will look.

OK - I'll start there. What does TR stand for?Thanks for looking for a way to test it.

Transmission Range Sensor click here

Cool! That looks like a good place for me to start. I'll work on this and see where I get. If I come back for help later (a day or two or more) how do I get with you?

Y​ou can rate my help today, you can always ask follow up questions as needed after rating, just reply to this question and the system will let me know when you responded. I am online in the evenings and weekends. Thanks Scott

T​his question will stay open for quite awhile also.

Thanks Scott! I appreciate the help ... I was lost when the OBDII system threw no codes. Now this may not be the issue but it's a good place to start. Have a great weekend!!Danny

Y​ou too!! Thanks again for your business!

Let me know what you find, Scott

Scott W.
Scott W., Mercury Technician
Will do.

.