Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The rear window passengers side of my 2000 Grand Marquis…

The rear window passengers...

The rear window passengers side of my 2000 Grand Marquis goes down but not up. My local

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

The rear window passenger side of my 2000 Grand Marquis goes down but not up. My local Ford dealer has a replacement motor and assembly, but I'm not sure about how to replace the motor assembly. Do I have to totally remove the window and if so does that mean taking off esterior trim around the window? I am advised that I need a shop manual for this project. Is that necessary?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

225,000 miles automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is all for now.

3/15/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Here are the steps to replace the motor and or regulator.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7lloy1t7747rho/rrdoortrim.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4unukppx0kwjly/rrregulator.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwjjetr6qdpl3il/rrmotor.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78dh0qqskztm18i/rrglass.pdf?dl=0

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It appears that I need to remove the window. Do I then need to remove the exterior chrome trim surrounding the window? Why not remove the motor and assembly and then simply replace it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there? Did you get my message?

Yes, I got your message 4 minutes ago. I need time to reply.

You only need to remove the window if you are replacing the regulator

You only need to remove exterior trim if removing the glass.

You can replace the motor by itself without regulator or glass removal if the motor is deemed to be faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you mean by regulator? Isn't that a part of the motor/cable mechanism? I have the interior panel off.

The motor is just a motor. The motor attaches to the regulator which is what moves the glass up and down via cables. If you are replacing the regulator and motor together then the glass has to be removed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK Thank You. ***** just have to figure out how to remove the trim around the window without damaging it.
I don't have anymore questions just now.

Glad I could help.

Why did you rate me as a poor tech?

I do not understand. I provided what you needed, you said Thank You and that you have no more questions.

Normally that is a 5-star excellent conversation but you choose 2-star poor???

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought your answers were just fine. This whole website is a difficult to maneuver. I'm trying to do this job by myself and I don't really want to be paying but minimal fees and I don't want to get involved with follow up on line advertising. If I would have gone to a telephone call which would have been nice then my fees would have negated any savings I would experience by doing the repair myself.

Regardless of the rating you still have paid to get help. I still do not understand why you choose to tell the website I provide poor answers ( you said my answers were just fine). I did not ask for you to do a call, the website did.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I said your answers were fine. The rating was for my frustration with the website, not your advice.

You need to tell the website about your concerns with them via phone or email. The rating is for me and me alone. Saying my answers are just fine does not help the situation. The website does not read answers they just see ratings. What they see now is Chris provided a customer with poor service. Can you please change my rating to reflect the answers I provided?

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Thanks

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician