Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trying to get keys to reprogram for 02 grand marquis. quess…

Customer Question
Trying to get keys...

Trying to get keys to reprogram for 02 grand marquis . quess it went into theft mode ( don't have 2 original keys only 1) get codes b1213, 1601, 2141 check engine lite stays on constant koeo will crank wont start now with any key

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Led blinks with key off and is off when key on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have autel elite scanner and and was trying to reprogram 2 new chipped keys would not communicate with module to remove old codes and then the "original key" stopped working

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercury
also, wont read vin have to manually write in
i had locksmith try with new keys but not from scratch and he got same results do i need to get 2 new programmed keys from ford dealer or will my original key in on ignition for 30 sec reset
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Mercury Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 4 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You will need the proper scan tool with the proper software to program the keys. I would recommend a dealership to do it as they have the proper Ford software to properly program them. Some locksmiths tell you hey can program them, but they are really only making a clone key and fooling the computer in the vehicle, which only causes more problems later. As for the trouble codes, I need to know what module you got the codes from.

pats
body mod

B1213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Encoded Ignition Keys Below Minimum

B1601 Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key (Key Code Format OK)

B2141 No Security ID Exchange Between PATS and PCM

These codes are telling me that the keys are not getting programed properly. You will need to have the dealership program the keys, and you will need 2 keys for the vehicle.

Mercury Mechanic: Daniel, Manager replied 4 months ago
Daniel, Manager
Phone call session started