Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Drivers side front wheel feels wabbly and is making noise…

Drivers side front wheel...

Drivers side front wheel feels wabbly and is making noise also excessive wear on tire inside.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Old they need to be replaced. problem is feels unsafe on highway

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

06 mountaineer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm going to attempt to fix all ive done is jack it up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should the front tire be spinning free on an all wheel drive vehicle

3/9/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Yes it turning is normal. Is there play in wheel when you try to move it side to side and up/down?

no just noise when I spin it a clunk sound

It sounds like the CV axle could be worn this would cause both the noise and the vibration. When turning the wheel check to see if there is any play in the axle, you can also grab it to see if you can wiggle it. If there is any play in the axle then this means it would need to be replaced. Usually a worn axle will cause vibration under acceleration then decrease when you let off the gas. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician

axle should barely move in/out if it moves much this would also be a sign that axle is worn. If the ends are solid but middle moves then this would mean axle is worn. If the ends also move then this is probably normal. You can send me a video if you want. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.