Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am in the process of taking out the intake manifold on a…

I am in the process...
I am in the process of taking out the intake manifold on a 1997 Ford Escort and noticed there is a vacuum hose connected to the throttle body that was not connected to anything. I also noticed the egr tube has what looks like vacuum nipples or something but nothing is connected to them. Are they suppose to be disconnected like this or not.If so, please let me know where do these need to be connected to.Thanks
2/18/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

One hose goes from intake to EGR solenoid on firewall then other hose goes from EGR solenoid to EGR valve. It is possible they egr solenoid failed causing egr to be activated at all times which would make it run rough so they disconnected it to make it run better. So if vehicle runs rough when connected it all back together but better when disconnected, replace the egr solenoid located on firewall. My goal is to provide 5 star service so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks.

im not talking about the green vacuum on egr valve, im talking about that hard tube that connects to the egr valve. i see two nipples that looks like something plugs into it.How bout the one on bottom of throttle body?

Here is also a picture of solenoid location and what solenoid looks like.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpl6xt531wjmahl/egr1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ll6ccsana4twetf/egr2.pdf?dl=0

That hard tube on bottom of EGR valve connects to exhaust manifold. When EGR opens i allows exhaust fluid from manifold to enter the intake manifold. The hose on bottom of intake manifold should be the one that goes to the EGR control solenoid. Let me know how it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

this hard tube that goes to the exhaust manifold, there are some nipples on it that look like something needs to plug into it.you are forgetting, Im also asking about the throttle body one, you keep on skipping it.

Sorry about that, give me a minute to look up diagrams.

It looks like the two nipples on EGR tube go to the DPFE sensor. And I'm looking up throttle body hose now.

I'm not able to find diagram but I think that one goes to purge valve, check and let me know if purge valve is connected. Thanks.

Yes that would be it, let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

can you point me to where the DPFE sensor is located at on this vehicle?

Here is a picture, it isn't the best but should help you find it.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eobs4llluk0rmaz/dpfe.pdf?dl=0

these hoses are totally missing, i wonder how it ran so good since i bought it.
also, since this is missing, which port goes to which port?

This is only emission related so a lot of this stuff will not effect how it runs. I have a feeling the EGR solenoid failed and they couldn't figure it out so just disconnected everything. Here is a diagram.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7sy9wm5sullr9x/dpfed.pdf?dl=0

i read one side intake side and the other side says exhuast side, this does not help me because the nipples are on the same hard egr tube. How can i tell on this egr tube, which nipple is intake side and which one is exhaust side?

Exhaust side would be tube closes to exhaust manifold.

Dan, Technician
thanks, ***** ***** do it.

No problem, let me know if you end up needing anything. Thanks.

one last question, if this silenoid is bad woudn't it trip a check engine light code?

Not really, half of the stuff wasn't even connected so if check engine light wasn't on from everything being disconnected then the solenoid itself wouldn't make it come on. Some of the older vehicles didn't monitor EGR operating all that well. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

I checked in the system and sure enough, this vacuum host was cut off and the two others were just handing there. Also, the other one is missing completely The one leaving the purge valve is completely missing. Where does this connect to and what size vacuum hose is this or the part number.Thanks

I do not have part number or size but if you pull off purge valve and bring it to parts store they can give you a section of hose that fits. It connects to 1 of the ports on intake. If there is no extra port not being used then I'd use a T and splice into another vacuum line. As long as purge is releasing fuel vapor back into engine it will work like it should. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

doesnt this connect to like the fuel cannister or something?

There are two lines, one line should be a hard plastic line that connects to canister and other is a vacuum line that connects to engine.

the one that connects to the engine via the throttle body port was cut, but the one leaving it is the one that is missing so I believe it connects to the canister. Where is the cannister location on this car. Is their a part # for this hard plastic line?

It may just use a regular vacuum line, I do not have a good diagram or part number. You can use a regular vacuum line, canister is located under car next to fuel tank.

oh ok, i will take a look. would this be on front of tank or more towards the back next to filler tube?

Diagram does not show its exact location but they are usually in front of the fuel tank, you should be able to locate it fairly easy. Let me know how it goes, thanks.