Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It started to jerk every once in a while. I thought it was…

Second opinion] It started...

Second opinion] It started to jerk every once in a while. I thought it was water in the gas tank but after adding the fluid to take care of [possible water it has continued.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I do not think it is a gas hog--it may be. It starts fine--no problem

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2000 LS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have never tried to do so. It has run well and has for over 151 thousand miles

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2018
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Is this a sporadic jerk like the hiccups or a fast but brief group of vibrations with a long period in between occurring?

Sometimes short jerks and then it runs OK for a while and when I step on the accelerator it will stop the jerk but soon to be repeated.

A jerking motion is normally a misfire. On this vehicle that is normally due to a coil going bad. A good scan tool that can do a power balance test will tell you which cylinder it is. If one is not available then drive the vehicle and find the sweet spot where it occurs the most and make it occur a lot. Eventually, the check engine light will come on, a code will be stored that you can get retrieved at a parts store for free which will tell you which cylinder is to blame.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician