Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

This questions is perhaps for a mechanic or an electrician:

I have a 1996 Mercury...
this questions is perhaps for a mechanic or an electrician: I have a 1996 Mercury Sable. Since I barely use it, I want to re-purpose it with an interesting experiment:I want to park it near my house and run a 110v power line directly to the air conditioner to run the AC while the engine is off.Since I did a tiny bit of research, I noticed car air conditioners can be a tiny bit complex which is why I listed the specific car above.Thanks for your help
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you trying to run the AC in the car?

without the engine on.

That is not possiable, the AC compressor needs to be turning in order for the AC to cool and the compressor is turned by the engine when its running.

there is no way to make a modification?

No , the AC compressor has to be turning in order for it to cool and without the engine running there is no way to turn the compressor.

Okay, i thought had something to do with an annoying thing my car is doing. when i turn on the car, the shift handle is locked inplace and i can't put it in reverse or drive..

That type of problem has nothing to do with the AC system. The shifter is controlled by the shift lock actuator and it is released for shifting when you apply the brakes. I would start with making sure your brakes lights are working.

im trying to rate you 5 stars but the webpage is not allowing me to click any stars or the submit button

Sometimes you have to refresh the page. Try doing that and it should work for you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician