Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

After warming up the low oil pressure light comes on at

Customer Question
After warming up the...

After warming up the low oil pressure light comes on at approximately 1000 rpm. If you raise the rpm just above 1000 rpm it goes out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the oil? How old is your oil pump?

I had the oil changed and it still did it. If you take the fill cap off while the engine is running it spits oil off of the timing chain so it appears to be getting oil to the top of the engine. It even dose this with the low pressure light on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2005 gs with the 24 valve triton engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GS yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's in the shop now and they say it's because of a "nick" in the oil filter. What I don't understand is it's not low on oil and it did it before and immediately after the oil change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They changed the oil filter and put in a dye to see if it leaks. There's no oil on the driveway and it's not burning oil. No smoke.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/12/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Are you working on a Grand Marquis GS?