Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car has bad misfire run rough jerks at higher speeds. just…

Car has bad misfire...

Car has bad misfire run rough jerks at higher speeds. just installed used trans. coils plugs cam and crank sensors, tbs. the car is a1996 grand marquis 150.000miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

Does not stall, but feels like it wants to. yes ti does sputter

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Grand Marquis?

1996

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, changed trans, used one, new coils, plugs, cam and crank sensors, tbs,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Jerks at different speeds

1/12/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you actually checked spark at each coil and fuel pressure yet?

no
just changed fuel filter
the coils are new

I would start with that first, you want to see 35-45 psi, with the pressure , and I know the coils are new I see bad new parts almost everyday and check the pugs as well they could have been dropped in transport and cracked but not able to see with the eye, I also recommend motorcraft plugs for that others dont do well

if everything checks out whats next? while I have you

you have me for as long as you need, then next I would check for vacuum leaks and clean the maf,

I tested all spark plugs for spark from coil everything worked fine. checked the furl pressure regulator it seems to be working, but the pressure from the fuel pump will not go above 30lb. It holds it at 30lb but will not go above no matter how much gas I give it. I CHECKED AII FUSES AND RELAYS all good.
I also installed a new fuel filter

looks like your fuel pump is bad

Do think this will solve all problems? Have tricks to make this job a little less fun

I know it will solve your fuel pressure problem, it should clear up alot of the others if not everything, and this job is just a pain and you will have to pull the tank to get to the pump, best advice I can say is make sure its near empty before you pull it,

Thanks for the help. That's it.

Sure thing!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
I changed the fuel pump and it still runs rough and act like it missing, what do I do next?

did you check fuel pressure with the new pump?

no, but it does run better the n it did, would a bad relay cause this?

It could, it would be super hot if it was bad, I would start with the fuel pressure first and check your voltage at the fuel pump relay

I checked the voltage at the relay both battery side and key side, they both had the proper voltage. And when I CHECKED THE FUEL PRESSURE IT WAS AT 35LB. bUT THERE WAS NO CHANGE IN TH WAY THE CAR RUNS
iT RAN GREAT FOR A FEW MILES BEFORE IT STARTED TO ACTUP

you could have a few clogged injectors I would check the spry pattern on those next

I unbolted the fuel rail to get the injectors to test the sprey but when I put pressure in rail the injector pop out 3of them only on the drivers side. So I put new orings topmand bottom it did not help. How do I test the sprey if I cant get pressure. Could the rail be bad

you have to make something to hold them in

I removed them from the car and cleaned them and checked the sprey. I also added new wires, but it still does the same thing.It does run better but still jerks from1st and 2nd. At faster speed it jerk also. Could there be a intake manafold casket leak?
Could it also be the egr valve .
I had guy at autozone read the codes for me and he said I had three missfires, that is why I changed the wires, which did not help. The plugs are good. Could it be the pcm?
I did check for vacuum leaks by using brake cleaner sprey it had no effect.