Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

2000 mountaineer awd 5.0 front diff binding an blowing oil…

Customer Question
2000 mountaineer awd 5.0...

2000 mountaineer awd 5.0 front diff binding an blowing oil from vent replaced it today with another one it did same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

This past weekend

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the front diff altogether today an replaced the cv axles

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It acts as if the brakes are slowing it down while driving causing the front diff to get hot an blow the oil out

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercury
1/10/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

This is usually caused by the transfer case failing. The viscous clutch fails and locks the front and rear drivelines together. It also causes severe binding and wheel hop, especially when turning and causes the differential to overheat from the increased load.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesnt do it when turning it only does while driving staight and when slowing down

So no hopping or skipping when turning? Nice and smooth through turns?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I replaced the front diff today an took it down the rd about .5 mile an it blew out the oil threw the vent never went over 20 mph either
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea threw the turns its fine i noticed some shaking in wheels while turning the steering wheel at a stop i acts like i an on the brakes while driving i let off gas an it drops speed very fast an sounds like grinding

That's a new one for me. I will opt out and see if another expert has run into this.

Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I see Kenny has opted out.

Do you mind if I try to figure this out?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you can try i am stuck at the moment trying to figure out the problem as well

Reading over all this now.

Are all tires the same brand, size, age, tread depth, and air pressure?

If you remove the front driveshaft and drive does this still occur?

On level ground can you push the vehicle in neutral?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The tires are all brand new 235 75 15 this wasnt a problem before the new tires i havent taken the front drive shaft off i read it wasnt good for it i have pushed it in neutral it is heavy so i didnt push it to far i changed the front diff an put about .5 mile on it before it blow the oil out the vent cv axles are 3 weeks old too

Front driveshaft out for test drive will harm nothing at all.

Get the vehicle on stands and use a nylon tape measure to measure all 4 tires circumference. One of these tires may be bad and to small or large causing a gear ratio issue. All must be within 1/4 inch min to the max circumference.

This is going to come down to the tires, axle ratios not matching, or the viscous coupling locked up.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I dont see how the tires are the issue they are matching tires with the same tire depth an life on the tires the have 5 miles on them i will try do what you have recommended before rating will have that done an rated in the next 10hrs from now thank you for the response

The reason the tires can be to blame is because "The tires are all brand new 235 75 15 this wasnt a problem before the new tires "

A tire can be a flaw and not be the same circumference as the rest meaning that tire rolls more or less times over a covered distance in comparison to the others.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician