Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 mercury sable runs well in winter but shuts off in

Customer Question
1998 mercury sable runs...

1998 mercury sable runs well in winter but shuts off in summer months

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?

Want to puchase this car for daughter,is owned by private party

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercury
1/9/2018
Mercury Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When it shuts down on you in the summer does it usually restart after is sat a while?

some times

The common cause for this type of problem is in most cases caused by the fuel pump heating up in warmer weather. When this happens the pump will heat up and this causes the fuel to foam and the pressure to drop. Usually, once the pump has had time to cool off it will usually start and run again. The correct fix in most cases is to remove and replace the fuel pump. This can be checked while the problem is occurring by installing a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail service port and monitor the pressure when the car stalls. Normal pressure should be right at 32 to 45 PSI, anything below 32 PSI indicates the pump is failing.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.