Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

3 month old die hard battery, new starter. Turning the key…

Customer Question
3 month old die...

3 month old die hard battery, new starter. Turning the key and it just clicks like the starter is bad. No start, neutral or park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Normally in part. If by wheel lock you mean the steering wheel locks, then yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

1994 standard model. 3.0 U motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do my own work. New alternator, battery and starter.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercury
12/31/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Amedee, Mercury Technician replied 1 month ago
Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Are you looking for some possible causes?

May I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is a U motor. Do you need more?

yes please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already paid $25.00 I don't need to pay another $26.00 just to hear a voice

We can continue on this page

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How about my question?

YES sir I can help.

Again, I need the complete VIN

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1melm50u6r637429
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1melm50u6rg637429

Thank you for the VIN sir.

When you go to start it, what actually clicks?

Does it click once or multiple times?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Once. When it clicks, I am in the car. I am assuming it is the starter motor, which is brand new, as was the one it replaced.

Ok, have you checked for power down at the starter? If not, this is your next step.

Let me know!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Give me a rundown of all steps. It's 10 degrees outside. It ran fine until suddenly not starting

You would need to check for power down at the starter with the key in the CRANK position to ensure it is getting full battery voltage. You will need an assistant to help with this.

If there is low voltage, you check the fuses and connections going to the starter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Assuming there is low voltage, what would that indicate? The battery is good.
  • Faulty new starter
  • Faulty engine ground
  • Locked up engine

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Faulty engine ground could be a bad Batt. neg. cable?
Locked up engine?
No relay?

YES

YES

If there is power at the starter, then the relay is good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Elaborate "locked up" engine.

If the engine wont turn

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would this occur without warning?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
an indication of some sort.

YES, it is possible.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the likelihood and how many of these are you aware of, percentage wise?

Of what? Engine locked up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have never heard of that with an otherwise well maintained engine.

Without knowing the history of the vehicle, it is hard to say. But based on my experience, the likely hood of that happening is rather low. Less than 20 percent. But it is possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it certain there is a starter relay in this vehicle? I am not sure. 1994 GS

No relay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
battery, neutral start switch, and starter motor make up the circuit?

Battery

Fuse

Ignition switch

(park neutral position switch on auto transmissions only)

starter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
I am glad I can help!Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Happy new year!!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is no "good-faith" deposit. I was required to pay. Happy New Year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am doing replacing of cables and testing to eliminate possibility of voltage drop from the battery. No lock up on motor. Turns easily.
The only way I can assist you further would be over the phone. We have covered everything else.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am replacing the neutral start switch and ignition switch so that all components are known to be good. Not too hard, but they are special order. I understand and appreciate your direction to use the phone for any other back-and-forth. I will take you up on that when I am sure that I am not wasting your time. Thank you for getting back.

Sounds good, you are most welcome!

Please keep in touch and let me know the results.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Have a great night!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Mercury Technician