Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

While driving, the car jerks and anti theft light comes on…

Customer Question
While driving, the car...

While driving, the car jerks and anti theft light comes on for a few seconds and then car continues on as normal. Being told the the transmission needs to be replaced, $5k. Having a real issue with this claim.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you tried to reset the computer?

Don't really know how that's done. I'm 83.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '83 Mercury?

The car is a 2007 Montego. I am 83.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montego yourself? What have you tried so far?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have tried two different keys

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercury
12/29/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Does the car jerk like there is a misfire?

Is the theft light coming on solid or flashing?

How did they come to the conclusion a new transaxle was needed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it jerks a bit.
Light comes on solid but goes off almost immediately and car drives normal
Did a diagnostic test. Said it needs a new transmission. They drove it and also seemed to think it was also related to the speed of the car.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car is currently at the dealership.

Did they tell you if there were codes stored?

Are you positive it is the anti-theft light you were seeng?

Can you get any more info for me as to why it needs a replacement trans?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check on the codes.
Pretty certain about the light, checked it with the manual.
Saying transmission is not going in gear correctly.
Maybe we can set up a call for sometime tomorrow?

Tomorrow will be fine. As of right now I just do not have enough to constitute an answer worth paying for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you ever heard of a transmission issue being diagnosed because of the anti theft light?

Not once, never.

Ford even states the PATS light cannot affect an already running engine, it only prevents starting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! Will contact you tomorrow.

Super

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician