Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer that are reading off

Customer Question
Good morning, I have...

Good morning, I have a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer that are reading off several codes. I was told that I need a GEM Module but when I did my research I found out that the 2007 Mercury doesn't have a GEM Module. My vehicle will start and run for about 30 minutes then shut off and the ABS lights come on. Yesterday we replaced the Alternator because the battery was also dying.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the ABS light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes So far we purchased to brand new batteries. The first battery got drained with in a couple of days. We check all the fuses and all of them where in good condition. We went to have the truck diagnosis in got several codes. P1000, P0562, B1676, P0563, U1900, C1991, B1317, B2290 & B1884.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Plus we purchased a new Alternator yesterday and installed it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mercury
12/27/2017
Mercury Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 6 months ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** you tell me if when the vehicle shuts off what will it do when you try restarting it? Does it crank and not start or is the battery dead and it does nothing?

The vehicle shuts off after driving it for about an hour. The ABS light comes on. When I jump it it starts back up. So I purchased
Texting is better for me.
Are you there?

Unfortunately I can only respond here. If the battery needs to be jumped after the vehicle turns off then it is a charging system problem. You need to check fuse 24 in the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side to make sure it is not blown. if it is fine then the electrical system needs to be checked to see why it is not charging. I can walk you through this if you have a voltage meter.

we check number 24 Powertrain yesterday and it was fine. We've also checked all of the fuses.
A mechanic told use that we need a GEM Module but when I looked it up they said they stop making GEM Modules in 2006 vehicles.

Did you check the charging system output voltage with a voltage meter? You are right it does not have a GEM module. It has one main engine control computer that does everything on this vehicle.

I've got the vehicle diagnosis yesterday and this is the codes that I've received.
P1000
P0562
B1676
P0563
U1900
C1991
B1317
B2290
B1884
Are any of this codes going to keep the vehicle from running?
By the way yes we check the Voltage also everything turned up good.

All of these codes together point to a voltage issue or a computer failure. I would definitely start by checking the alternator output voltage and amperage when the vehicle is stalling. There is no other reason for the battery to be dead when this occurs other than a charging system failure. If all of the wiring tests fine to the alternator then this is a main computer problem. I have had a lot of computer failures on this vehicle and they tend to occur just as you mention after the vehicle runs for a little while.

Yesterday we've purchased a brand new Alternator & Battery.Is there any way we can disable the computer function to see if that's the issue?
Now the radio and GPS Navigational System wont come on.

You cannot disable the computer on this vehicle as it is the main control for all of the electrical systems.

How do we go about fixing this issue?

If everything checks out fine then the computer would need to be replaced with a new or re-manufactured one and then it needs to be programmed to your vehicle.

What is the name of the computer system for for my vehicle?

You have what is called a powertrain control module. That is the name of the computer.

What perimeters of the voltage for my type of truck would be considered normal and what area should we be doing the voltage check on?
Is it possible to be electronic control module relay issue?

When running the voltage in the system should continue to run at least around 13.5 volts. And yes, as I previously mentioned you need to check and make sure that the relays under the hood, primarily the PCM power relay is good.

How long do I have to talk to you today? I want to check the relays?

I am typically available all day. I may be offline at some points but when I see any responses from you I will return as soon as I can.

Will the voltage being low cause the radio and navigation system not to work?

Yes. When the voltage in the system reaches a critically low level the computer will start to turn off unnecessary electrical systems.

Okay got it I am going to run to get a voltage meter could you tell me what components I need to check?

You will need to start by checking the running voltage at the battery. If it is below 13.5 volts then we will need to proceed with checking the electrical system for the charging circuit. If it is fine then we will proceed with checking other circuits. You may just want to replace the PCM relay as that is a common failure. If not then switch it with a similar relay in the relay box and see if anything changes.

Okay, How long do our chat last. If I go get a voltage from the store will I have to repay the $28 to speak back with you or can I leave this window open until I get back?

You can continue to return to this chat without paying more. Even after you rate my service we can continue.

Okay sounds great i'll be back.
Thanks

Sounds good.

Good morning,
I have the voltage tester to do some testing on the vehicle.

Sorry I was not available earlier today. The first thing you need to do is check the running voltage at the battery and tell me what it is and then turn on the headlights and other electrical loads while the engine is running so we can see where we need to go from there.