Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

We changed the battery, fuel pump and the fuel filter on my…

Customer Question
We changed the battery...

We changed the battery, fuel pump and the fuel filter on my 99 Grand Marquis. The spark plugs are fairly new and wiring looks good. The fuel pump is not engaging and the car is not starting. This is a well taken care of car, and it has had no problems previously. It sat for about 5 months, and in that time it came up with this issue. Not sure what else it could be. We moved the relay to another position and it still would not start. We are at a dead end trying to figure this out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

The last time the battery was changed was about 6 years ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I put a brand new battery in it, fuel pump and fuel filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The relays seem to be fine. As well as the wiring.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mercury
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2017
Mercury Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

so you cant hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds when you turn the key on?

No, all you hear is a small click back there, but not fully engaging.
I'm not sure if it may possibly be the crankshaft sensor or maybe something to do with the anti theft system?

ok, pull the fuel pump relay, the prongs should be numbered 30,87,86,85. make a jumper wire. stick one end in slot 30 and the other end in slot 87.

Ok, give me a few. I'm going to try this right now. I'll let you know.

ok

Ok, we can here it building up pressure and the pump is working now. Still not turning over. Do we just need to wait longer for it to build the pressure up or is there possibly another issue than the relay?

the pump is running with the relay jumpered but not with the key on, correct?

It began running once we jumped it.
Once we get a new relay.....it should start then?

so the pump is running now with the relay put back in?

no it only comes on with the jumper in.

ok,

Thank you. We are going to replace the relay tomorrow and hopefully that was the culprit.

no, its probably not the relay

with the relay out, check for 12 volts in slot 86 with the key held in start.

what do you think it is if the jumper worked?
I don't have a volt reader on me, unfortunately.

Swap the relay with another one

We already tried that earlier and the pump did not come on.

ok, you really need a meter

I can get one tomorrow. If it's not reading 12 volts what would be the next step?

the computer

the pcm controls the fuel pump relay coil, by grounding/ungrounding/ grounding etc....

Ok and if it is reading 12 volts?

we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow-up questions you may have. Also, we can respond to this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

hows it going?

do you still need help??

david craig
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician