Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I HAVE A 2008 MERCURY MILAN AND THE COMPASS DATA ERROR LIGHT…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2008 MERCURY...
I HAVE A 2008 MERCURY MILAN AND THE COMPASS DATA ERROR LIGHT COMES ON. HOW DO RESET OR FIX IT
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercury
12/9/2017
Mercury Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master replied 7 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Can you take a picture of the warning message and upload it to the chat?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me by clicking on the stars.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer and allowing my to assist you!

It. Says compass data error in the messages above the steering wheel

Ok. That condition can be caused by the compass module (early build) or auto dimming mirror (late build). Or the wiring from the module or mirror to the instrument cluster.

First thing you want to do is to check fuses 28 (10amp) or fuse 12 (7.5amp) in the interior fuse box. Which fuse depends on early or late build so just check for both fuses. Do that first and see if you find a blown fuse.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

Do you have any more questions on this? Have you got your compass working or do you need pinpoint steps to diagnose?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

1. I am a FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also answer questions here on Just Answer.

Had a busy weekend just checked the fuses and they are NOT blown what is your next recommendation?

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? You could have an issue with the mirror or the compass module.

Before getting into that, you could try disconnecting the battery and performing the compass relearn procedure. If that does not work then some diagnosis will be needed. A trouble code should be set as well in the instrument cluster. A scan tool can retrieve that.

Compass Calibration

1. NOTE: For optimum calibration, drive to an open, level location away from large metallic objects or structures. Switch off all non-essential electrical accessories (rear window defrost, heater, A/C, map lamps, wipers, etc.) and make sure all doors are closed.

Start the vehicle.
  1. Press the RESET button until RESET FOR CAL/INFO TO EXIT is displayed in the message center display.
  1. NOTE: This will take up to 3 circles to complete calibration.

Slowly drive the vehicle in a circle at no more than 5 km/h (3 mph) until SLOW CIRCLES TO CALIBRATE changes to CALIBRATION COMPLETED in the message center.
  1. The compass is now calibrated.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I tried pushing the reset button and nothing happens

You drove the vehicle also like it recommends to recalibrate the compass?

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!

I did

Ok. At this point you will need to have the codes checked in all the vehicles modules to see if there is a code that can give a direction to go. Otherwise if you have a volt meter we can access some wires and do some basic checks.

Customer Satisfaction is my #1 goal!