Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2000 mercury grand marquis. Runs fine for a while…

Customer Question
Have a 2000 mercury...

Have a 2000 mercury grand marquis. Runs fine for a while then stalls. When trying to restart, the traction light temp light flashes and the pats light blinks rapidly. Let it sit for 24 hours or so and everything is good again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

It depends. Today i drove for 50 miles no incident then traction light flashes and temp light flashes then it stalls. Try and restart and the pats ligjt flashes rapidly. , crank no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

It had a slight hesitat back a few weeks ago.changed cops and plugs. While doing it we found that the valve cover gasket was leaking ( oil on cop boots. Thats the drivers side. After that the problem started

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercury
12/5/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you get the same results from your spare key?

Have you scanned it to see which PATS codes are stored?

Tried the spare key with the same results. I suspect that this is some kind of intermittent electrical issue, probably a ground or ref voltage issue most likely caused by me during the drivers side valve cover gasket replacment. The reason i think this is it is tight in there and i had to remove the brake booster and remove power steering reservoir to make room to move the harmess out of the way and even then the harness was tight and i might have strained it. Plus there are too many things happening. It rides fime for a whole night. I literally drove it around for four hours on sunday so see if it would mess up. In town and on highway. After towing the car home yesterday i started doing a visual inspection of the wirimg harness, Fuses relays etc. I noticed that the fuel pump relay was hot to the touch. I changed it just for good measure. New one is cool as a cucumber. Then i say in car and started it. It idled like a champ.
Im a pretty big guy 350 lbs. when i got up out of the car to go back under hood it stalled. I repeated the action, same thing. Stalled again. Reached in and started it thorought the window. Went under hood and manipulated wiggled and pulled on every wire and connecter i could reach. Grabbed each fender snd shook the car no stall. Oped the door and stood on the door frame and it stalled. Did it 3 more times it stalled. I know i haven mentioned this before but never since ive been having this trouble has the pcm thrown a code. Not sure where to go from here.

The car stalling when standing on the open door frame, I do not believe I can figure this one out not in person. I will opt out.

Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Michael Solis

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Let me know if you still need assistance :)

far ibe paid 31 dollars to get quit on. Waited days only to get this response in the middle of the night. Not paying anymore money.At least not yet. Habe you read my conversation? Anything to offer?
Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

I apologize for waking you so late :( I definitely have some ideas but we will wait until the morning. Let me know when your ready and we can respond back and forth. Get in touch with me tomorrow and we will continue this, get you some rest, good night :).

Im not sleeping, i am at work. Ask your questions. Lets hear your ideas
Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

I think you are on the right track, I do believe it is possibly the volt reference as being the problem since the power train system is what is being affected, but I believe it is the PCM itself glitching out. I first want to eliminate the possibility as to being a PCM issue.

Next time the stall & other modules whack out on you, try to put it on the cheap scan tool and see if the PCM gives you codes, or says communication failure. ABS, PATS should be fine and are probably throwing communication error codes because it can not speak to the PCM.

I have seen similar issues almost identical. Found a bad computer to be the issue. I was able to diagnose it just seeing it could not communicate. We can always see the DLC connector and read the circuit there.

Other signs as to possible PCM issue is if KOEO shows no check engine light illumination.

I monitored the TPS 5v reference, and it was still there. Even though the PCM was glitching out and bad.

Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

On a ford around your year model, I had a pcm circuitry actually releasing ground to the vehicle and stalling when you move the car around, the repair on that one was adding electrical tape around the PCM.

Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

If you truly think it is a wiring issue around the area you worked at, then we can do some continuity checks on the ones you believe are the issue pin by pin at the same time moving the car around.

OK.
First, I had it on a software scan tool while driving, it shows no codes when it stalls. I do not loose connectivity with the car. KOEO the CEL is on and turns off when the engine starts. As you said it could be a damaged pcm but why so intermittent? Drive for hours and the next day no love. When it stalls the temp light flashes it starts running real rough. sometimes i can keep it going by giving some gas for a bit but the pats light starts flashing, then the car stalls, then crank but no start. When i get the crank but no start condition the pats light blinks rapidly.
I had it running in the driveway and i got under the hood and checked every connector, yanked on every strain point i could see. When the car started stalling as i got in or out of the drivers seat, it made me think that perhaps a piece of the harness going behind the engine or under the car might be the problem. The two things that really keep burning into my brain are the flashing pats light and that stalling from the movement in that par of the car. The pats light makes ask what route the circuitry and antenna take? It did not always stall from me getting in and out but i just think that the fault is in a perfect position to be affected by this movement. It was getting late and raining so i didnt get underneath yet.
I did buy a shop wiring diagram so that is my next route. I won't be able to get under the car again till sunday But that is my plan of attack
Just one more thing, I dont have this car very long so ii dont know its history but, i did notice that the fuel pressure regulator is new. the egr operator (vacuum driven) is new, and the alternator is new.
The coil packs were not all the same make. I attribute that to the oil leak
Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

ok and what type of scan tool do you have? Can it retrieve abs/pats and all other modules codes? Ill follow up with you tomorrow, its getting late for me.

OBD AutoDoctor. No No ABS or PATS codes. I have to buy a better scan tool but budget tight cant seem to find a happy medium. TTY tomorrow. Sleep well.
Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago

Thank you for the kind words :). I did sleep well. How do you want to approach this matter? Can we check if the TPS has 5 volts to see if it is a volt reference issue?

Ill be home later this evening (EDT). I am guessing from the time of your response last night that you are on the west coast? I will probably be home around 7 my time and I can grab a DVOM and we can do some testing if you like.
Mercury Mechanic: Michael Solis,
 replied 4 months ago
Sounds good I am central
Michael Solis
Michael Solis
Michael Solis