Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have an 05 mountaineer, started with gauges bottoming out…

Customer Question
I have an 05 mountaineer...
I have an 05 mountaineer, started with gauges bottoming out but car was running fine. husband removed one terminal to check the alternator and apparently fried the PCM. we replaced the PCM. car starts and seems to run fine however the turn signals,hazards,power locks brake lights and radio do not work. we have replaced alternator(before finding out we fried the PCM) flasher,multi function switch but none seem to have been the problem. at a loss on where to start.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercury
11/26/2017
Mercury Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, so a new pcm was put in the car and programmed to the truck? Or you put in a used part and had the keys programmed to it? Do the gauges still do the same thing? All fuses are good for the affected circuits under the hood and in the interior fuse panel?

The PCM was new and programmed to the truck. I had to have my keys programmed to the new PCM. all fuses are good.The gauges have not bottomed out while idling but again we have not been able to really drive the truck other then up and down my road because there are no turn signals,brake lights or wipers. however, the brake light on the tailgate does work.
The emergency brake icon and the (!) stays lit on the cluster as well but the emergency brake is disengaged and the cars temp is fine

ok give me a few minutes,it the radio the stock one?

currently the radio is out of the car

ok and nothing works on the radio, no display? the parking lights and headlights work? high beams work?

nothing on the radio works. as soon as you try to turn it on the fuse blows. running lights, reg lights and high beams work

Ok so you do have a fuse that blows, wihich one? With the radio disconnected or off it doesnt blow?

the fuse only blows if the radio is in and you try to turn it on,tested the radio and the radio is fried. was told when PCM blew radio went as well.

When you replaced the multifunction switch did the connectors to the switch look melted or overheated? ANy loose wiring to the switch? Since the 3rd brake light works, the rear stop amps run through the multifunction switch

everything looked fine, nothing worn,frayed or melted

Check all fuses in both the underhood and interior fuse panel, including the two fuses shown in the first attachment.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Will do as you suggested today after work and let you know how I make out.

Very good.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Hello, just following up to see how you are making out. Do you need more help?

Hey, sorry for the long delay but I had a death in the family and was out of town for a bit. I did exactly what you suggested and found 2 blown fuses and replaced them, which got my wipers working. Then went on a huntch and replaced the brand new relay with a more expensive one and that got my blinkers working. Now the only problems I have are that the gear shift indicator doesn't work(stuck on P) , the emergency brake indicator light, temp light and airbag light are on in the cluster and my door locks keep clicking. The door locks were doing this before replacing the PCM but initially wasn't right after replacement. Do you think I have a bad cluster? Car seems to run perfect.
Possibly. That would require running a diagnostic in the cluster itself.if the shifter moves on the column and it's a non digital indicator for the shifter it may be a broken prndl indicator . No problem on the response time. I'm sorry to hear for your loss. Let me know if you need more specific information on the cluster and it's circuit.
Ok. The shifter does move. I can put it in gear and go but the non digital indicator does not move off of park. How would I run a diagnostic on the cluster or is that something only the dealership can do? Trying to avoid the dealership since I've already spent a considerable amount trying to get this car back up and running.
And for the life of me cannot figure out why the emergency brake,temp and air bag indicators are on.
Ok the shifter has a broken or disconnected cable for the shifter not moving off of park. A dealer can diagnose it or a local shop can test the cluster. It requires a high end scan tool. I'm glad to hear I got you part way there so far with the blown fuses. Just double check everything and have a diagnostic check run on the cluster. If it does require replacement it has to be reprogrammed by a dealer or locksmith that can program 2 pats ignition keys to the new cluster. So it can be done out of the dealer but will still cost more before it's all fixed if it got cooked like the pcm did.
Thank you. I will look into the shifter cable tomorrow and see if I can get the cluster checked as well. Will let you know how it goes.
Very good. If you need more help please let me know . If I was helpful please be sure to leave a positive rating.
HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician