Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It won't start after I installed a new radio. Which fuse?

It won't start after...

It won't start after I installed a new radio

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Which fuse?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2007 mercury grand marquis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

So the key turns and all the lights come on like normal but when you try to start it, nothing happens except that the fuel pump kicks on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The anti-theft device seems to be working normally as in the light on it comes on for three seconds and then turns off

11/20/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

I assume it will not crank?

Is the check engine light on with the key on?

Did you use a plug and play radio or did you have to cut wires?

I turn the key and all the lights are on but when I go to start, it does nothing. The check engine light is not on. I used a plug and play harness. I tried plugging the old radio back in but that didn’t work either. It started once no problem after I installed the radio but now will not start. Battery voltage is good.
I also checked every fuse and relay in the car and all seems good on that front. I am thinking that the PATS has been activated but the security light isn’t flashing. It comes on for three seconds and then goes out.

Remove the starter relay, hold the key in the start position. Are there 2 pins at the relay that have battery voltage?

Will it crank in neutral?

Double check, key in the run position the check engine light is off or on?

Tried to put in nuetral, no effect.Check engine light is off.I will have to check on the relay voltage later.

The check engine light must be on with the key on, if not this means the PCM is not getting all the powers and grounds it needs. Below is a wire diagram to check that. Do that and the starter relay test when you can then report back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agxcm1szm1glhgo/GMEP.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mr25o5i1zzm9vk/GMstart.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Mercury Technician
I apparently misspoke earlier. The check engine light does come on when you turn the key on. I still haven’t gotten a chance to check the starter relay...

Let me know when you can.

I got it fixed. The starter relay was out. I switched it with the blower relay and it starts now. Thanks for all your help!

Super news