Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1996 mercury grand marquis with a 4.6l that i have…

i have a 1996 mercury...
i have a 1996 mercury grand marquis with a 4.6l that i have problems with it over heating when im driving on the highway, ive tried a couple thermostats, a clutch fan and it will still over heat,
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Have you check for any debris stuck to the radiator or ac condenser?

i havent no,

you may want to. if the engine isn't overheating while sitting at idle, there's a good chance the airflow to the radiator is being obstructed.

it doesnt look like anything is blocking the airflow, i just put another thermostat and held at a faster idle, the antifreeze comes up and when i shut engine off its got pressure at the cap on the over flow,

ok, does the temp gauge indicate normal?

its running on the hot side, but isnt putting out but luke warm air at best
the top radiator hose is nice and hot and one hose going to the heater core is hot but the other hose is barley warm

ok did you bleed the air from the system?

does that engine have a bleeder?

standby please

bleed

taking the water inlet off is how u bleed?

on this engine yes

on the rh cylinder head? do u know if its on the back or front of the head?

where it goes into the rear of the cylinder head.

I have to get to my shop. I will be back on in about an hour.

that fixed it, i never knew there was a procedure to bleed on that car, thanks alot

you are very welcome. please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving a 3 stars or more rating for me will be greatly appreciated thank you have a great day

david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

thank you very much

david craig
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician