Mike V.
Mike V., Automotive Technician
Experience:  25 years experience witth all makes, Nissan and Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Mercury mystique 200 w 130k miles just started to shift up

mercury mystique 200 w 130k miles just started to shift up and down when pressing the accelerator. fluid level was okay when got home 30 minutes later.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: think it is original 2000 yr. model but bout car used 2 years ago.
JA: Are you fixing your Mystique yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: somestuff done myself but not the more difficult repairs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: had a cracked alternator and replaced it and then the air conditioner pump later.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the check engine light on?

Does the O/D light blink on start up or when this is happening?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
ok.
Is the check engine light on?Does the O/D light blink on start up or when this is happening?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
no check engine or blinking at least not since I drove it home.

Ok

Many times this condition can be the result of a faulty throttle position sensor. If the computer doesn't know how much throttle you are giving it, it won't know what gear it should be in. This can happen without setting the check engine light because it's all based on voltage. If the voltage is wrong, the computer isn't smart enough to know that, so it will just try to put it in the right gear based off the throttle position. If the speedometer is working fine, then that is the other major input as well as the output shaft speed sensor (OSS) if you don't have a flashing OD light, that usually means there isn't a code stored in the transmission module. It sounds like it's a problem with the TPS

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!