Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

Second opinion] I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. I have…

Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer. I have had an intermittent problem with the vehicle stalling while driving. It acts like it is starved for fuel. If I sit, the car starts and will go for a 1/4 mile, then stall again. The longer I sit, the further I can go. I have had to throttle body cleaned, the fuel kill switch replaced, a new filter installed. These work for a month or so, but then back to the same stalling problem. The fuel pressure at idle is 65 LB. I had a fuel pump installed 5K ago. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

135K, with a complete tune up @103K

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I normally use the same mechanic that I have used for over 15 years. Also 2 dealers have had a wack at it. They all clean the throttle body, replaced the fuel filter.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Changed out the fuel tank pressure switch 9/16. Was having difficulty filling fuel tank.

9/20/2017
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician
Hello and welcome to JA...is the check engine light on, or does it come on after the vehicle stalls?
The check engine light does not come on when it dies, but does come on at complete failure. I did a scan and no codes came up. I changed out the fuel sensor on the throttle body today to see if that helps. Too soon to know. Acts like it gets gas starved, but fuel filter, pump, sensors, etc, are relatively new.
When it stalls, does it happen when you are slowing down from highway speeds or does it just lose power and not accelerate but stay running?
it dies at highway speed. It loses power and will not accelerate even pumping the pedal, once slowed, it will barely run then die.
After it stalls, does it start right back up or do you have to wait awhile for it to start?
Also....was the vehicle stalling like this before you had the fuel pump replaced or did it start doing it after the fuel pump was replaced?
It will start back up quickly. The longer I sit,the further I can go. That makes me think hat something is cooling or releasing pressure. It was doing this prior to fuel pump replacement. The new fuel pump was supposed to correct this issue.

Ok.....this sounds like you have debris in your fuel tank....when there is dirt/debris in your fuel tank, it will clog up the pick up screen on the fuel pump and cause the issues you are having. Once the vehicle stalls, the fuel pump shuts off and the debris falls back to the bottom of the tank. Then it will start back up as if nothing happened.....thats why there are no codes being stored. You may or may not have noticed, but this concern may be happening most often when you are at 1/4 tank or less of fuel, or right after you fill it up. The fuel pump will seem like the most obvious solution, but the fuel tank needs to be cleaned out. I can guarantee that there is dirt/debris in your fuel tank.

OK! I will get that checked out. I normally fill up at 200 miles on the odometer, which is about a 1/3 tank. I will keep an eye on he fuel gauge to see where it is when the problem occurs.

OK....THATS MOST LIKELY THE PROBLEM THAT YOU ARE HAVING. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND. PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION....THE RATE TAB IS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN...I ONLY GET CREDIT FOR HEL;PING YOU WHEN YOU RATE MY ANSWER...IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE, PLEASE CONTINUE TO ASK QUESTIONS UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED. THANK YOU FOR USING JA.

Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician