Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

No spark, cranks, won't start, Yes, 1985 grand marquis, New…

Customer Question
No spark, cranks, won't...

No spark, cranks, won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

1985 grand marquis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

New coil, new alternator, new battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was running fine, moved wire harness around, now no spark

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercury
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician replied 8 months ago
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician

Hello and welcome to JA....do you have a test light? We need to check for a spark signal to the ignition coil.

No signal to coil,
Pulled distributor out, n it is turning to engage, but no spark, had TFI tested too n its good
Put test light from coil to distributor cap n no light

Ok, do you have a test light? Since I am not there with your vehicle, I will be asking you some questions, and may have you test a few things, this will make it easier for me to assist you in finding out what is wrong with your vehicle...I need to know if the stator is sending an rpm signal...the easiest way to test this is by using a test light and checking the wiring at the coil. There are 2 wires at the coil....one will have power with the key on....the other is the spark signal....we need to put the test light on the negative battery cable and turn on the key, see if you have power to the coil. Then, put the test light on the positive battery cable and probe the other wire in the coil connector,then crank the engine... the test light should blink, indicating an rpm signal from the stator....can you check this.please and let me know the results.

Ok nothing either way
You have no power to the coil?
Nope, I thought I did because the dizzy would turn the gear, but no, I don't have power to coil
what is it?
Ok....wiggle the wiring harness while you have the test light plugged into the negative battery cable and the red/green wire at the coil...tell me if the test light comes on...if not, there are fusible links that come off of the starter solenoid...let's make sure there is power on both sides of the fusible link.
Ok I had wires unplugged, the test light does come on when hooked up to the negative on battery n to the one side of coil wires but no light from positive on battery to other side of plug wires when cranking
I don't have an rpm signal
what would cause no rpm,
I apologize I didn't realize when I first tested, that something was unplugged
Hello
Ok...the stator in the distributor is bad....the stator supplied an rpm signal to the PCM....which then supplies the spark signal to the coil..the stator is located inside the distributor....whenever we replace the stator, we also replace the TFI module.
Ok the stator n TFI need replaced. I checked the wire from coil to dizzy, the test light comes on dim, so that's the stator gone bad?
Should I just get a new distributor
No....unless you don't have the means to replace the stator.....the replacement of the stator requires the distributor gear to be pressed off so the shaft can be removed from the distributor.
Oh ok, I'll just get a new distributor, with a new TFI. Thanks for ur help, I'm gonna try it today
Ok....please rate my answer to your question.... the rate tab is at the top of your screen...I only get credit for helping you when you rate my answer.....if you are not satisfied or if you require any further assistance, please continue to ask questions until you are satisfied. Thank you for using JA.
Ok will do
I ordered a stator, getting it in a couple hours. I'll let you know if it works. I did try 2 different distributors n tested both their TFI units n they were good, so anything else it may be?
When we have no rpm signal it's normally the stator that we need to replace

DID YOU REPLACE THE STATOR?D

Sorry I didn't rate u yet, it's because I wanted to try what u said, I bought a stator, took apart my dizzy, new stator in it n broke the one sleeve the first pin goes in, while pressing the gear back on. So bought a new dizzy, put it in n nothing still.
new dizzy, new coil, new alternator, weak light going to coil, on one side, strong light on the negative side. What the hell could it be? Trust me u figure this out, I'll give u the best review in history of this site!
Ok...let's check the wiring at the coil again...one side will have power with the key on...the other side is a flashing ground signal...
Ok so with test light on the negative of batt I have light on both sides with key on, but when on positive of batt no light at all, last time it was a dull light but no blink
no rpm signal
What's up Dave I got out of be to mess with this car, it's 536 am here, u git time to answer me
Last guy couldn't help me figure it out. New dizzy, new alternator, new coil, no rpm signal, car turns over. No spark. Could it be the timing chain?
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins
Dave Hopkins, Mercury Technician