Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The power steering fluid is coming out of the reservoir

Customer Question
The power steering fluid...

The power steering fluid is coming out of the reservoir after 5 minutes of turning on the car and is making lots of noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

Yeah it makes lots of noise and what do you

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

Mean when was the fluid last checked?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mercury?

1999 mercury sable

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had my mechanic fix the rack and pinion and it was good for a year until it started leaking through the reservoir

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm pretty sure air is in the ps system I want to know if I have to replace anything else on my car or can I fix it myself

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercury
9/17/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Randall, Mercury Technician replied 9 months ago
Randall
Randall, Mercury Technician

Hello, Unsure why it is doing this right out of the blue usually only when fluid drained or new pump etc but yes, you have air in the system for whatever reason, Could? even mean the pump is going bad, This pump is hard to bleed There are several different ways, the best is with vacuum pump, The other? you have to try without it but this is doen with engine NOT running,You need to have front wheels off the ground, I listed both below, The last way is the same, no vacuum , wheels off the ground, fill resevoir, turn wheels side to side, engine off, then? leave the cap OFf and let it sit for say 1 hour, go back add a little fluid and repeat, may? have to do this a few times. Still pushes fluid? I can only think the pump is failing

A symptom of a whining noise from the power steering pump and shooting fluid from the cap when shutting off engine is due to excessive air in the power steering system. This usually occurs after topping off a low system or performing a needed repair. Due to design, this system is extremely hard to bleed and proper procedures must be followed to eliminate air. To start, fill the reservoir to the proper mark. Disable the ignition by pulling fuse 10 in the fuse junction panel and crank engine for 30 seconds. Check the fluid level and fill as needed. Crank the engine for 30 seconds while turning the wheel from stop to stop. Check the fluid level and fill as needed. Tightly insert a rubber stopper or power steering cap, modified with a vacuum nipple, onto the pump reservoir. Reinstall fuse 10 and start the engine. Apply 20-25 inches HG vacuum for 3 minutes at idle. Remove the vacuum, check the fluid level and fill as needed. Reinstall the vacuum source and apply 20-25 inches HG vacuum. Cycle steering wheel from stop to stop every 30 seconds for 5 minutes. Remove the vacuum, shut off the engine and fill the resevior as needed. If the fluid level rises when shutting off, air is still trapped in the system and this procedure will need to be repeated. In extreme cases, it may need to be performed a minimum of 3 times.

After engine start up, follow these steps to eliminate excessive steering system noise due to air trapped in the system during repair:

Disable ignition by removing the ignition coil fuse in the fuse junction panel fuse number 10.

1. Add Motorcraft MERCON Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or equivalent meeting Ford MERCON specification to power steering oil reservoir (3A697) and raise front wheels off floor.

1. CAUTION: Do not crank engine for more than 30 seconds at a time, damage to the starter could result.

Crank engine with starter motor and add fluid until level remains constant.

1. NOTE: Front wheels must be off the floor during lock-to-lock rotation of steering wheel.

While cranking the engine, rotate steering wheel from lock-to-lock.

1. Check fluid level and add fluid if necessary.

1. Reinstall number 10 fuse in the fuse junction panel and lower front wheels. Start vehicle.

1. Allow engine to run for several minutes.

1. Rotate steering wheel (3600) lock-to-lock.

1. Turn engine off and check fluid level. Add fluid if necessary.

1. Purge system of air as described, if air is still present.

Randall
Randall
Randall, Mercury Technician