Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Engine will not start..since its a non returned fuel system…

Customer Question
Engine will not start..since...

Engine will not start..since its a non returned fuel system i haven't checked fuel pressure. have check compression in all cylinders is 150 of above and have checked spark. if vehicle sits for an hour or so it will fire for just a second the shut off and will not start again

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

154000 miles vehicle was serviced last in april

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2004 mercury mountaineer 4.0

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. switched plugs wires and coil pack. MAF sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Haven't actually checked fuel pressure with a gauge since theres no schrader valve. have done compression test.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercury
9/14/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech replied 8 months ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

At this point you will need to disconnect the pressure line at the fuel rail and hold a rag around the line while an assistant cycles the key. If no pressure then verify voltage at the inertia switch connector on the pink/black wire while cycling the key. When cycling the key the voltage will only be present for about a second so keep that in mind when testing. If voltage present when cycling the key then the pump will need to be replaced. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool, available at most parts stores. See link. They cost under $10.

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/fuel-line-disconnect-tool/oem-fuel-line-disconnect-tool-set/246367_0_0?cmpid=PS:3:3:1&s_kwcid=AL!5142!3!193251454013!!!!306630576436!&ef_id=WTnGNQAAAEw26gyt:20170914170234:s

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

I took this plug out of fuel rail and checked fuel pressure before I posted this question. Had enough fuel pressure there that you couldn't hold your finger over it. Will pressure be different at pressure line?

That would be sufficient fuel pressure. Will the engine try to fire if you induce starting fluid or brake cleaner in the intake?

Tried starting fluid and didn't make a difference. The only way it will try to start/fire is if I hold it to the floor.

Ok, holding it to the floor puts in in clear flood mode while cranking (turns off injectors). Are the plugs fuel soaked?

Are there any codes stored?

Plugs are a little dirty plenty black for bing new and not running yet but not really wet when i pulled them back out. It doesn't have any codes in it now came in with 6 of them.
P0106, P0114,P0304,P0316,P1000,P1336
After reading codes I put new plugs wires and a coil pack in thinking that was it. Didn't make any difference also cleaned mass air flow sensor and put in a new one also didn't make any difference. Tried new cam position sensor didn't change anything either.

With the codes cleared, does the check engine light come on in the run position and go out when cranking the engine over?

Service engine light is on with key on goes out when cranking.

Does your scanner display live data in graph form? If so is the rpm signal clean when cranking the engine?

What is the voltage at the TP sensor across the brown/white and pink/orange wires with the key on?

So you took those readings individually to ground?

I did sorry I misread that.
With ground on pink/orange and positive on brown/white I get 1.23

OK thanks now at the EGR connector measure across brown/white and gray/red with the key on

5v

Is that TP reading with the sensor plugged in?

it is

OK try to start the engine with it unplugged

Really didn't make any difference tries to start but still doesn't start

How does it sound when cranking? Normal no skips nice and even?

Right. When you crank it over with coil pack unplugged it doesn't jump like it has a dead cylinder or anything.

This is a strange one for sure. Injectors clicking when cranking if you hold a screwdriver to your ear?

Yea they seem to be.

I'm out of ideas, by all these results it should run. You are welcome to request a new expert. They might have another idea.

This one has me confused too. Which is why I'm on here.

I understand. You might get something else to check from a different expert, I am out of suggestions.

Mercury Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master

You still trying to get your Mountaineer started?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

I am.

If you clear the codes and then try to start the truck which ones come back first? Also with your scan tool you may be able to do a koeo self test and see if there are any on demand codes.

No codes come back when I clear and crank other than the obd system check incomplete. Same thing from doing a koeo test.

Make sure the crank sensor is reading the tone ring on the balancer correctly. I have seen the balancers fail and the tone ring slides out of the crank sensors path.

Also, is there a theft light on the dash or in the cluster that may be blinking rapidly when you turn the ignition to the ON position?

Doesn't look like tone ring is out of crank sensors path and no obvious signs that balancer has spun or failed. Also no there isn't any security or theft light blinking.

From reading the previous posts I think you need to get the actual fuel pressure reading. It could be too high and flooding you out. You should be able to read it also with a scan tool has that vehicle has a fuel rail pressure sensor.

Also what were the compression readings?

Fuel pressure is 41.7 on scan tool.
Compression was
1-165
2-170
3-160
4,5,6 - 150
Also after it sits over night when you first try to start it it will pop and run rough for a couple seconds then shut off and not restart.
EricFromCT
EricFromCT