kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Check enige light wont come on, check eninge, 1997 grand

check enige light wont come on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: check eninge
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercury?
Customer: 1997 grand marquis
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet- try to fix myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Does the car start and drive ok?

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

The most likely the bulb has burnt out. You will need to remove the instrument cluster so you can get to the back side of it to replace the bulb. If a fuse was blown, the car would not start.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do i remove instrument cluster

Do you have a digital cluster or an analog cluster?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
need instructions- diagram
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i think analog- how can i tell

Sorry for the double post, the site has been acting up. If you have an analog cluster the gauges will have hands on them, The digital dash will look black when the car is shut off.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hands? no hands- just see gauges

If you see gauges, then you have an analog cluster. The first thing you will have to do is tilt the steering wheel down. across the center of the dash on both sides of the steering wheel there is a wood trim piece. The two pieces are lust snapped in. If you pull on the ends of the trim closest to the doors you can start to pull it off. Work slowly from the ends to the steering wheel to pull this panel off. There are two screws in the opening for the cluster going upwards just in front of the cluster in the black plastic that you have to remove. Now there are screws behind the wood trim you have already removed that will have to come out. There are 4 on the passenger side of the steering wheel, and two on the drivers side. Once these have been removed you can remove the cover over the cluster can be removed. Once you have the dash bezel removed there are 4 screws that hold the cluster into the dash one on each corner. Now you have to remove the knee panel from under the steering column. You will have to remove the brake release handle from the bottom of the knee panel and the other two screws on the bottom. The the top will pop out as well. There is a metal guard under the knee panel that has to come out next. There are 3 bolts that you have to pull out from the top, through holes under the wood trim you pulled out first, two on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. There are also Two bolts on the bottom. Once you have the metal guard off you can then get to the shift indicator string. This will be a white plastic piece that is held to the bottom of the column with a 5.5 mm screw. Use your finger to remove the string from the shift lever on the driver side of the column. The cable has a small loop that fits over a pointed stud. Once you have all this unscrewed/bolted, you can then slip the cluster out and unplug the cluster and remove it. On the back side of the cluster in the upper right corner as you look at it from the back, the check engine light bulb will be the second bulb on the top going left to right. Turn the bulb counter clockwise Just a little bit to unlock it and lift it out. The bulb can then be pulled from its base and replaced.

Did you need any more help with this problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

Where you able to get the cluster out to replace the bulb?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Please do not forge to rate my help. If you are not able to give me a 5 start rating, please ask more questions so I can earn the 5 stars. Thank you and have a great day.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q