Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

My AC pulley is making noise and I strongly believe the

Customer Question

My AC pulley is making noise and I strongly believe the bearings are shot. My AC doesn't work and I'll be getting rid of this car in the spring so I wanted to see what type of cheap fix I could so it doesn't seize up on me
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: What? My AC doesn't work and the compressor is shot. I don't care about that. The bearings in the AC pulley/clutch are shot and I'm looking for a cheap fix for that. I don't care if the AC doesn't work
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 Mercury Milan V6
JA: Are you fixing your Milan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I have done anything yet. I diagnosed the problem and now I'm trying to figure out how to cheaply fix just the pulley. I'm trying to figure out whether to bypass it or whether I can just get a pulley and not the whole clutch assembly
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mercury
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I don't see a by pass pulley and Dorman sells them. I believe you will have to repair what you got.

It appears the last by pass pulley available was for the 2005 Mercury shown here, http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-85708-34274.aspx?year=2005&make=Mercury&origin=keyword

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

They also appear to be for the 4.0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there an option to completely bypass the AC pulley? It's hard to tell if there is clearance to do that from the top of the engine
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I was looking at the diagram and it looked to me as though if you also bypassed the other pulley, maybe. Let me get that belt routing diagram back.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

here, if you also bypassed #4.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

I don't know what belt would fit though, but I suppose you could just measure it with a clothing tape measure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it looks like it might work if I go straight from the generator to the crankshaft pulley
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it looks like it to me as though it will just miss the bottom of that tensioner.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any other thoughts on how to get around that? I just don't want to spend a ton of money on this car. It has 275,000 miles on it and I'm getting a different one in the spring. I just don't want that to seize up on me while I'm driving.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Check it right now, Remove the tension from the belt and slip it off, than run it like you want right now, leaving everything on, just bypass it then pull on the belt to tighten it up and see if it will hit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately, I'm at work right now so I won't have the chance to do this until tonight, but I'll try it tonight. See if it hits anything. I printed off the diagram you sent, which is actually a bit different than everything else I found online and I'll give it a shot tonight
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like a plan.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I'll let you know if it works tonight
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 month ago.

Ok