Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My AC pulley is making noise and I strongly believe the

Customer Question
My AC pulley is...

My AC pulley is making noise and I strongly believe the bearings are shot. My AC doesn't work and I'll be getting rid of this car in the spring so I wanted to see what type of cheap fix I could so it doesn't seize up on me

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

What? My AC doesn't work and the compressor is shot. I don't care about that. The bearings in the AC pulley/clutch are shot and I'm looking for a cheap fix for that. I don't care if the AC doesn't work

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2006 Mercury Milan V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Milan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I have done anything yet. I diagnosed the problem and now I'm trying to figure out how to cheaply fix just the pulley. I'm trying to figure out whether to bypass it or whether I can just get a pulley and not the whole clutch assembly

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercury
9/11/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

I don't see a by pass pulley and Dorman sells them. I believe you will have to repair what you got.

It appears the last by pass pulley available was for the 2005 Mercury shown here, http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-85708-34274.aspx?year=2005&make=Mercury&origin=keyword

They also appear to be for the 4.0

Is there an option to completely bypass the AC pulley? It's hard to tell if there is clearance to do that from the top of the engine

I was looking at the diagram and it looked to me as though if you also bypassed the other pulley, maybe. Let me get that belt routing diagram back.

here, if you also bypassed #4.

I don't know what belt would fit though, but I suppose you could just measure it with a clothing tape measure.

it looks like it might work if I go straight from the generator to the crankshaft pulley

Yes, it looks like it to me as though it will just miss the bottom of that tensioner.

Any other thoughts on how to get around that? I just don't want to spend a ton of money on this car. It has 275,000 miles on it and I'm getting a different one in the spring. I just don't want that to seize up on me while I'm driving.

Check it right now, Remove the tension from the belt and slip it off, than run it like you want right now, leaving everything on, just bypass it then pull on the belt to tighten it up and see if it will hit.

Unfortunately, I'm at work right now so I won't have the chance to do this until tonight, but I'll try it tonight. See if it hits anything. I printed off the diagram you sent, which is actually a bit different than everything else I found online and I'll give it a shot tonight

Sounds like a plan.

I guess I'll let you know if it works tonight

Ok