Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I drive a mercury grand marquis (2005). My check engine

Customer Question
I drive a mercury grand...
I drive a mercury grand marquis (2005). My check engine light has been on a few days. As I was driving just now... The power steering started to not work very well and when i stopped, a ton of steam came from under the hood. Does this mean my engine coolant is low ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercury
9/10/2017
Mercury Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It sounds like your drive belt broke which turns the water pump and the power steering pump. Look under hood to see if belt is in tact. Let me know ow it goes or if you have questions, thanks.

Okay did you see my question?

Start vehicle and make sure it turns, let me know. Thanks.

I havent started the engine yet... We pored anti freeze into the anti freeze thing bc it was low and it started to leak out of the engine through a hole the size of a nickel.

That was where I was going to go next if belt was good. If there was a leak then that would go onto engine causing steam, it would also go on belt causing belt to slip which would make the power steering hard. So you will need to replace whatever is leaking, you can try to patch it up but replacement will be the long term fix. I'm assuming it is radiator, let me know what part is leaking and I can give you replacement instructions. Thanks.

If it is coming out of the engine could that still mean it is a radiator problem?
Because the leak seemed to be comigg straight out of the engine block

Can you send me a picture or video of leak? Usually it is running down from somewhere else such as water pump and leaking off engine.

I cannot currently because I am at dinner but I think you may be right

Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, based on what I'm hearing I think water pump is probably leaking. I can give you replacement instructions if you can confirm that is area of leak. Thanks.

Although I am not %100 sure, that does sound somewhat realistic. Would the leaking water pump cause the power steering to malfunction a bit? Also , my power steering has been fine since the check engine light came on and only started to not work during the last 2 minuetes I was driving it.

Yes because the coolant would leak on the belt which would cause belt to slip so power steering pump wouldn't be turning like it should causing the loss of power steering. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Do you think it would be safe to drive the car to the mechanic in this state? Or should it be towed?

It should be ok to drive to mechanic as long as it isn't overheating and you add coolant before drive. That is also assuming mechanic is within a couple miles. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.