Mercury

Mercury Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercury

The yellow wrench is on and it's not shifting right - 2008

Mariner. JA: How old is the...
The yellow wrench is on and it's not shifting right - 2008 Mariner.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Original to car and no.
JA: Are you fixing your Mariner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not fixing it myself. I am taking it to have transmission fluid changed today.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This started Sunday during 3 hrs of highway driving.
8/22/2017
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Does it feel like it is missing second and fourth gears, revs out higher than normal in first then shifts to third?

I can't tell. It does take a long time to shift from 1st and that's when the power train light comes on.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** by a broken 2/4 band. Very common with this transmission. Repair requires transmission removal and disassembly to replace the band. Sorry for the bad news :(

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

If you can provide the VIN# ***** current mileage, I can check for open recalls for this concern on Ford's database.

Thanks. About how much should that cost me at AAMCO.

Around $1500 for just the band replacement, if you can get them to not sell you a full rebuild or replacement.

Should really check for recalls.

14m2cu97118kj47202 and approx 117,300 miles

That VIN is not valid, please re enter carefully. It should be 17 digits long

4m2cu97118kj47202

Sorry no open recalls. Was worth checking. Best of luck with the repairs!

Kenny

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Thanks for all of your help Kenny Z! I had to take in to the local AAMCO. It's gonna need to be rebuilt ��

Your welcome!

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech