Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Mercury Senior Master Technician
9600325

The yellow wrench is on and it's not shifting right - 2008

The yellow wrench is on and it's not shifting right - 2008 Mariner.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Original to car and no.
JA: Are you fixing your Mariner yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not fixing it myself. I am taking it to have transmission fluid changed today.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This started Sunday during 3 hrs of highway driving.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Does it feel like it is missing second and fourth gears, revs out higher than normal in first then shifts to third?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't tell. It does take a long time to shift from 1st and that's when the power train light comes on.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** by a broken 2/4 band. Very common with this transmission. Repair requires transmission removal and disassembly to replace the band. Sorry for the bad news :(

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

If you can provide the VIN# ***** current mileage, I can check for open recalls for this concern on Ford's database.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. About how much should that cost me at AAMCO.

Around $1500 for just the band replacement, if you can get them to not sell you a full rebuild or replacement.

Should really check for recalls.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
14m2cu97118kj47202 and approx 117,300 miles

That VIN is not valid, please re enter carefully. It should be 17 digits long

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
4m2cu97118kj47202

Sorry no open recalls. Was worth checking. Best of luck with the repairs!

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for all of your help Kenny Z! I had to take in to the local AAMCO. It's gonna need to be rebuilt ��

Your welcome!