Mercury

Mercury repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am having trouble with my speedometer cluster. First, my…

Customer Question
Hi. I am...

Hi. I am having trouble with my speedometer cluster. First, my gas gauge started to float and then just set it self on full. The check engine light came on and a little time later the speedometer cluster was not working. It still lights up and blinkers work. The check engine light is no longer on along with an airbag light that had been on since I bought the car. Also, the automatic head light went out along with the cluster. I don

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Which light?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

2003 Mercury Marquis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Marquis yourself? What have you tried so far?

I talk to the parts guy and says it is my cluster, but I don't know where to get a new one

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercury
8/19/2017
Mercury Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the fuel gauge is most likely an issue with the fuel sender float, when they go bad it reads open and a full tank on the cluster. But the other issues may or may not be related. it would be best to check the basics first, check all fuses for the instrument cluster. Inspect the wiring to the fuel tank/fuel pump. A diagnostic check for codes of the instrument cluster would need to be done to see if it has its own faults stored. This would require a high end or dealer style scan tool. Most codes readers only check engine codes only. So if the basics check out ok, a diagnostic would need to be run. Its possible the insturment cluster itself is failing and would need to be replaced, which would require reprogramming by a dealer scan tool and 2 PATS ignition keys reprogrammed to start the car.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating using the 5 stars above so I get credit for helping you.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician